Mets OF Michael Conforto will meet with doctors within two weeks, after which he hopes to be told he can start swinging a bat, he told reporters at the team's annual Coat Drive earlier this week.
It was reported in November that Conforto's recovery was progressing well, and he was expected to start swinging a bat by late January.
Conforto dislocated his shoulder toward the end of last season, which required surgery to repair the posterior capsule. The initial diagnoses was that it would require at least a six-month recovery.
In either case, Mets GM Sandy Alderson said Tuesday he does not expect Conforto to be ready for Opening Day, despite remaining on track during his rehab.
Jul 29, 2017; Michael Conforto (30) hits at Safeco Field. Credit: Nicholson-USA TODAY Sports
"It's tough to put a timeline on these kinds of things," Conforto later added during an interview with SNY. "I feel great, but... We're still taking it easy, being cautious."
"It's a long season, so if I happen to actually miss a couple of games here and there that's not the end of the world," Conforto concluded. "I want to be playing in October, hopefully."
In advance of Conforto beginning the season on the disabled list, the Mets have reportedly been looking to acquire a right fielder that can also play first base. In addition to right field, Conforto also spent time last season in center field, where he could again see time in 2018.
Conforto, who made the All Star team last year for the first time in his career, had been hitting .279 with 27 home runs and 68 RBI in 109 games before injuring his shoulder.