Mets OF Michael Conforto underwent surgery on Wednesday in Los Angeles to repair a torn posterior capsule in his left shoulder, the team announced.
Conforto is expected to miss roughly six months, Mets GM Sandy Alderson said on Tuesday, adding that the team should know more in about a month regarding a potential timetable.
Alderson added that the dislocation Conforto suffered last month was the third he's had, with the first coming during high school and the second coming earlier this season in the batting cage.
Aug 24, 2017; Conforto (30) is helped off of the field at Citi Field. Credit: Murray-USA TODAY Sports
The 24-year-old Conforto dislocated his shoulder and tore the posterior capsule during a swing Aug. 24 against the Diamondbacks. Doctors quickly recommeded surgery, according to reports. Conforto went for a second opinion and eventually reached the same conclusion.
Conforto, who played in his first All-Star Game this past July, was hitting .279 with 27 home runs and 68 RBI in 109 games for the Mets during what was going to be his first full season in the big leagues.
Sept. 5, 2017: Sandy Alderson estimated that Conforto should be back March 1. However, I'd take any timetable with a grain of salt, because Michael's situation is a bit of unchartered water (see below). My hunch, based on several conversations with baseball experts and orthopedics, is that we see him get his first at bat in a real game some time in May. If this is the case, he should still be able to play in 125 games and get 500 or so at bats...
Aug. 24, 2017: The good news is that, according to injury expert, author, and consultant Will Carroll, there has been a bit of a revolution during the last few years as it pertains to shoulder surgery and rehabilitation. So, looking to history for clues on Michael's return may not be accurate. In addition, Conforto's injury is very rare, Carroll told me. Matt Kemp may be the closest comparison, but it isn't exact.
By the way, this absolutely sucks. There is no other way to put it...