It seems that Peter Alonso thinks he's ready to be called up by the Mets.
The slugging first base prospect "liked" a tweet on Monday suggesting that keeping him down in Triple-A due to his potential defensive issues wasn't a good reason.
A team source recently told Mike Puma of the New York Post that the Mets "likely" wouldn't call Alonso up in September, but that nothing was set in stone.
Alonso has been working on his defense with instructor Tim Teufel, and Sandy Alderson said earlier this season that Alonso had made strides defensively. And it has started to pay off, with the 23-year-old having recently been named the Defensive Player of the Month for Las Vegas.
"Super proud to be named defensive player of the month of July for
@LasVegas51s, Alonso tweeted about the honor. "This is awesome because I've worked hard and have come a long way. This is just motivation to keep building on success."
Meanwhile, Alonso has been on a serious hot streak recently for the 51s, going 14-for-35 with five homers and five doubles in his last 10 games. He is now hitting .255/.359/.560 in 48 games in Triple-A after hitting .314/.440/.573 in 65 games earlier this season for Double-A Binghamton.
Alonso's 105 RBI this season are more than anyone in the minors or majors. Boston's J.D. Martinez has 104.