Latest Update (Feb. 20)
1:25PM: The feeling from the Mets side is the Neil Walker contract extension discussions are probably dead, according to Mike Puma of the New York Post.
Previous Report (Feb. 20)
11:55AM: Despite recent meetings between Sandy Alderson and representatives for 2B Neil Walker, the two sides are no closer to a contract extension, according to Marc Craig of Newsday.
Talks have hit a snag, and while an extension is still possible for Walker, a new deal is not imminent as of Monday morning.
A sticking point in negotiations between the two sides has been how or if to restructure the first year of Walker's deal, with the second basemen set to make $17.2 million in 2017.
9:05AM: WFAN's Ed Coleman reported on air from St. Lucie that the Mets and free-agent Neil Walker are close to agreeing to a contract extension, the station said on Twitter.
According to Daily News reporter Kristie Ackert, a source close to Walker and the Mets said a possible deal with the Mets this spring would include the 2017 season, plus two additional years, and be worth slightly more than $40 million.
The Mets talked with Walker's agent on Saturday and planned to do so again on Sunday, Mets GM Sandy Alderson said this past weekend.
"There is no other place that I'd want to be," Walker told reporters last week, when asked about possibility of a new contract. "Nothing has come to fruition just yet, but that doesn't mean something won't happen."
Walker signed a one-year, $17 million deal in the offseason. He hit .282 with 23 home runs and 55 RBI in his first season as a Met before suffering a back injury, which ended his season in September.