After being pulled from the lineup in the Mets spring training opening game on Friday for being late to a team meeting, Dominic Smith said he and Mickey Callaway had a private conversation came to an understanding.
Smith, who started in the Mets second game on Saturday where he went 1-1 with 2 R, is ready to move forward.
"We had a private conversation and we both came to a clear understanding," Smith said. "Like I said, stuff like that can't happen. But it was yesterday, it's in the past and today's a new day."
After the game on Friday, Callaway said it was a bit shocking that Smith was late to Friday morning's team meeting, which resulted in Smith being scratched from the lineup.
"We have expectations for guys," Callaway said. "And if they don't meet that expectation, we have to hold them accountable. And that's why Dom wasn't in the lineup today. ... He's trying to win a job, and it's unfortunate."
On Friday, Smith discussed the issue earlier as well.
"In any job ... if you don't show up, you get disciplined and you have to pay the consequences," he said.
"I'm more upset I let myself down," he explained. "I was so excited to be in the lineup and be playing. ... I'm kind of more disappointed in myself and with myself, than anything else."
Smith had initially said he wasn't given a reason for the benching. But after meeting with Callaway, he again met with reporters and clarified that he had been late to the meeting.
The 22-year-old Smith is still aiming to win the first base job, but the expectation is that he will begin the year with Triple-A Las Vegas, while Adrian Gonzalez is the starting first baseman for the Mets.