The Mets might be willing to offer Drew a three-year deal, but the third year has not yet become necessary, Sandy Alderson told a group of season-ticket holders Thursday at Citi Field.
However, Drew’s agent, Scott Boras, had been seeking an opt-out clause after the first year of any deal, something the Mets view as a deal breaker (Rubin, Feb. 6).
WFAN’s Mike Francesa said earlier this week that the Mets made an offer to Drew, but that was refuted by MetsBlog, the New York Post, Daily News, WEEI in Boston and SiriusXM's Jim Bowden, all citing sources aware of the situation.
Boston reportedly made a two-year offer to Drew last week (Bowden, Feb. 3). However, according to an on-air report from MLB Network's Peter Gammons, Boston is asking Drew to be a utility infielder, while he’d likely be the starting shortstop for the Mets or Twins.
There's been a lot of discussion on Twitter about the Mets letting Drew sign elsewhere and waiting for next year's richer free agent shortstop class.. The problem with that is they really don't have a proven, big league starting shortstop right now, and to go into this season with the same options as last season will likely to end with similar results. In addition, the Mets don't have to give up a first round pick Drew today, whereas they might have to do so next year and pay more in dollars and years for another free agent shortstop.