Mets RHP Noah Syndergaard is a freak of nature whose blazing fastball has been chewing up hitters since his Major League debut in 2015.
What makes Syndergaard so special is that he's a starting pitcher who regular hits triple digits with his heater. All of the other pitchers who regularly hit triple digits (such as Aroldis Chapman of the Yankees, Tommy Kahnle of the White Sox, and Joe Kelly of the Red Sox) do so in relief.
Here are Syndergaard's five fastest pitches this season, courtesy of Statcast:
- 100.9 MPH sinker to J.T. Realmuto of the Marlins on April 9, resulting in a ball.
- 100.4 MPH sinker to Christian Yelich of the Marlins on April 9, resulting in a ball.
- 100.0 MPH sinker to Yelich on April 9, resulting in a foul ball.
- 99.7 MPH sinker to Realmuto on April 9, resulting in a called strike.
- 99.6 MPH four-seam fastball to Derek Dietrich of the Marlins on April 14, resulting in a field out.