Update, 7:13 p.m.: Mets third baseman David Wright underwent surgery for the herniated disc in his neck Thursday in California.
The procedure, described by the team as "cervical discectomy and fusion" was performed by Dr. Robert Watkins. Dr. Watkins and the Mets medical staff at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York have prescribed a period of rest before Wright resumes any physical rehab activity. He will be re-evaluated in the weeks ahead to determine when he can resume baseball-related activities
David Wright will undergo surgery today in California for the herniated disc in his neck, the Mets announced, with the timetable for his return depending on the success of the surgery.
In a statement, the team said the decision for Wright to have surgery was made after weeks of tests, rest, and anti-inflammatory injections, which failed to alleviate pain and improve his mobility.
"After trying every way to get back on the field, I've come to realize that it's best for me, my teammates and the organization to proceed with surgery at this time," Wright said. "My neck simply did not respond to any of the treatments of the past few weeks.
"While incredibly frustrating and disappointing, I am determined to make a full recovery and get back on the field as soon as I can to help the Mets win. I greatly appreciate the support of my teammates and our fans throughout the last few weeks."
"As an organization, we've got to say it's going to be quite a while," manager Terry Collins said Thursday when asked how long he thought Wright would be out. "If it's two months out, you're still talking about September, where you can increase the roster anyway."
The Mets have an insurance policy on Wright which allows them to begin recouping 75 percent of his salary once he misses 60 games. It will kick in in late-July, potentially resulting in $5 million in savings, reports Mike Puma of the NY Post.
Mets GM Sandy Alderson said earlier this week that the possible surgery requires three-to-five months of recovery and intimated it would end Wright's season.
The neck injury is reportedly not related to Wright's spinal stenosis condition, which he continues to manage game to game, and which kept him out several months last season.
"Any time I miss a game with something other than my back, it's pretty concerning," Wright said in early June. "My back gives me enough trouble, so now that it is something different, it's frustrating. ... If I'm physically able to go out there and help the team, I try to do that. But if I can't help the team, then I can't go out there and play."
Wright, 33, was hitting .226 with seven home runs and 14 RBIs in 37 games this season.
11:30 am: This sucks. It sucks for the Mets, and I really feel bad for David, who I know works incredibly hard and desperately wants to experience delivering a Championship. That said, he's a smart guy. He is undoubtedly making this decision based on what's best for him and his family, not just for today, but for the long term. And, if this decision can help make him the best husband and dad -- mentally and physically -- I'm happy for him. If he returns to play baseball one day, that would be great. If he doesn't, that's OK, too. I'm thankful for the memories and for the opportunity to get to know him and I wish him nothing but the best...
As for the Mets, the fact is, they've played the overwhelming majority of their games the last season and a half without Wright. And, while he hasn't been the same on field for a long, long time, his impact on the clubhouse has also become less and less during his absence. So, it is what it is, life goes on...
Now, I assume Alderson will dig a bit deeper to find a starting third baseman. Wilmer Flores can handle the job, but he's also useful at other positions around the diamond. If a better, more long-term solution presents itself, I hope Alderson makes the move...