One of the worst-kept secrets over the last week was that Pete Alonso was going to make the Mets' 25-man roster. Still, Alonso had a tough time holding the tears in when manager Mickey Callaway gave him the news.
"I got misty-eyed," Alonso said before Opening Day on Thursday. "Everyone was like, 'don't cry Pete.' I was wearing sunglasses at the time, thankfully. I was beyond excited."
"Don't cry, Pete!" 😂 pic.twitter.com/zIJUd9APMH- SNY (@SNYtv) March 28, 2019
Before giving his players the news, Callaway had altered their batting practice plan before gathering Alonso, Tomas Nido, Luis Guillorme and others to let them know they were coming north with the team.
"We had me, Dom, J.D., Guillorme, and Tomas Nido all in a group," Alonso said. "And wer were hitting in the first BP group and then after he just said 'alright, guys, in like an hour and 45 minutes there's a flight to Syracuse. All of us got really quiet, He, like, drug it out. And he's just like 'you guys are gonna miss the flight because all you guys are big leaguers. It was not cool at first, but it was kind of a funny joke. It was really cool."
The way Mickey told Pete, and the group he was hitting with that they made the big leagues is tremendous pic.twitter.com/025suPzjGh- SNY (@SNYtv) March 28, 2019
The 24-year-old Alonso was told by GM Brodie Van Wagenen in November that he had a real chance to make the team out of Spring Training, with Van Wagenen prioritizing taking the best 25 guys over the potential of Alonso hitting free agency a year early.
Alonso tore the cover off the ball in Spring Training, Van Wagenen was true to his word, and now Alonso will get to take his hacks against Max Scherzer on Opening Day.