2014 Mets- Newly arrived Wilmer Flores joined up with the Bravos de Margarita on November 27, and has a hit in each of his first six games during which time he's hit a crisp .500/.577/.550 with one double, four walks and one strikeout. It's six games and all, but four walks in six games is a nice start.
- Juan Lagares has lost 130 points of OPS in his last nine games, but is still hitting .345/.378/.418 with five doubles and one home run for Aguilas Cibaenas in the Dominican. Lagares drew one walk in his first 16 games and five walks in his last 11 games. He's managing the strike zone a little bit with a 16/6 K/BB overall in 27 games. He remains a hitter who is very reliant on contact and batting average on balls in play.
Fighting for Bullpen Spots in Spring Training- Joel Carreno - 2.16 ERA, 8.1 IP, 8 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 HR, 2 BB, 11 K. The righty throws in the low 90s and will certainly have a chance to pitch his way into the Mets bullpen in Spring Training 2014.
- Jeurys Familia - Familia began his winter in the Arizona Fall League where he had trouble with his control. His wildness has followed him to the Caribbean where he's walked two batters (and given up two unearned runs) in his first two innings with the Gigantes del Cibao in the DWL.
- Gonzalez Germen - 10 G, 2.89 ERA, 9.1 IP, 12 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 5 BB, 5 K for Toros del Este.
Las Vegas 51s (On Opening Day 2014)- Wilfredo Tovar has played 10 games at shortstop and five at second base for the Navegantes del Magallanes in Venezuela while hitting a Tovar-ish .245/.273/.396. He does have five extra-base hits, three doubles, a triple and a home run in his 15 games.
- Cesar Puello - .178/.211/.260 in 26 games with two homers, and an appalling one walk against 20 strikeouts in 26 games for the Toros del Este in the DWL. He's played center field and both corners. I'd like to believe that Puello will make his Major League debut for the Mets in the second half of 2014, with a chance to be something like a league average rightfielder by 2015. A K/BB ratio of 20/1 is not a good sign at all.
- Chase Huchingson - 3 G, 1.2 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K for Aguilas del Zulia in the VWL beginning November 26.
Probably Not a Met in 2014- Jordany Valdespin: .182/.333/.330 with 17 walks and 20 strikeouts in 29 games for the Tigres Del Liey in the DWL. He's played mostly leftfield with a little time at the other two outfield spots and one game at second.
Miscellaneous Arms- Domingo Tapia: 2 G, 2 IP, 1 H, 4 BB, 1 K for Gigantes del Cibao in the DWL. Tapia walked 14% of the batters he faced in St. Lucie in 2013, and his control issues have followed him south for the winter.
- Randy Fontanez (Idios de Mayaguez, PWL): 4 G, 1.93 ERA, 4.2 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 2 K
- Ryan Fraser (Leones de Ponce, PWL): 5 G, 2.45 ERA, 7.1 IP, 8 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 5 K
Backup CatchersXorge Carillo - .287/.361/.380 with 7 2B, 1 HR, 10 BB, 21 K in 35 games. Fun fact: Carillo is one game played away from tying his regular season total of 36 split between St. Lucie and Binghamton.
Juan Centeno (Puerto Rico) Winter League - .167/.225/.278, 1 2B, 1 HR, 3 BB, 5 K in 13 games.