A day after the Red Sox parted ways with Alex Cora as their manager, Mets fans are still waiting to see how all of this fallout from the Houston Astros sign-stealing scandal will affect Carlos Beltran.
As of Wednesday evening, the Mets have yet to address the situation. Beltran was the only Astros player named in the MLB report, though it was "a group of players, including Carlos Beltran" who discussed that the team could "improve on decoding opposing teams' signs," per the MLB report.
SNY's Andy Martino has reported that no decision on Beltran's future will come on Wednesday.
Martino also notes that if the Mets do indeed need to look for a new manager, that Eduardo Perez already had an "ownership-level interview that went well."
Both coaches named by MLB, Cora and AJ Hinch, have since been fired by their clubs, with Hinch and former Astros GM Jeff Luhnow each receiving one-year suspensions as well.
The Mets Hot Stove crew addressed the situation on Wednesday evening, explaining the latest they've heard and where they think the Mets should go from here.
"It's been pretty much radio silence from the Mets," said Anthony DiComo. "They've issued kind of a blanket 'no comment' on this whole thing, which tells you what's going on here, in terms of they're embroiled in this whether they want to be or not.
"I think heading into the winter, obviously hiring Carlos Beltran, they were hopeful that whatever came down with the Astros, with the Red Sox, that they wouldn't be part of it. They're going to have to answer these questions eventually."
While the silence has been noticeable, the Mets obviously have a huge decision to make, and it's one that they aren't taking lightly.
"Did he lie to the Mets? Did he lie to MLB? You're trying to buy yourself a little bit of time," said Jim Duquette. "You don't want to make a hasty decision in this type of situation …"
MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred announced on Monday that no Astros players, including Beltran, had been suspended for their roles in this situation.
The only comments from the team, to this point, came back in November shortly after Beltran was hired as the Mets manager, replacing Mickey Callaway.
"We took a lot of pride studying pitchers in the computer -- that is the only technology that I use and I understand," Beltran told Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic in November. "It was fun seeing guys get to the ballpark to look for little details. (In) the game of baseball, guys for years have given location and if the catchers get lazy and the pitcher doesn't cover the signs from second base, of course players are going to take advantage."
Said GM Brodie Van Wagenen: "Anything that happened, happened for another organization with Houston, Major League Baseball. I have no idea if anything did or did not (happen). But at this point, I don't see any reason why this is a Mets situation."