Mets third baseman David Wright has started baseball activities at the team's facility in Port St. Lucie, assistant GM John Ricco told reporters Wednesday.
While there was no timetable for a potential return, Ricco did say the third baseman has hit off a tee, taken grounders hit right to him and played catch.
"It's a good sign," Ricco said, according to Abbey Mastracco of NJ.com. "We'll see how his body responds as he continues."
Wright, who is on the 60-day disabled list, had been rehabbing in California due to the shoulder impingement he suffered during Spring Training. In May, the team stopped his throwing program after he suffered a setback.
The Mets captain has not suited up in a big league game since May 27, 2016, after which he underwent surgery to repair a ruptured disk in his neck. Wright has also battled spinal stenosis, which limited him to just 38 games in 2015.
"Given how long it's been, I think we're just taking it by the day," Ricco said. "I don't think we're looking too far ahead. We're just trying to see how it goes over the next few days, two weeks, see how he feels."
In his career with the Mets, Wright has a .296 batting average with 242 home runs and 970 RBI.