St. John's introduced its new head coach Mike Anderson on Friday and the unexpected hire did not waste any time in trying to win over the fans and media at Madison Square Garden.
The 59-year-old Alabama native promised entertaining basketball and if it is as entertaining as his opening press conference he will surely deliver.
Anderson was charismatic, laying out his philosophy and putting his personality on display in a lengthy opening statement that included bringing up some of the players on the dais behind him.
Here are some of the best quotes from Anderson's press conference:
1) "You got a guy that's relentless. I got a call Wednesday and look, I'm up here right now and gonna be the head coach of St. John's!"
New St. John's head coach Mike Anderson says that he got a call this Wednesday, and just like that, two days later:- SNY (@SNYtv) April 19, 2019
"I'm gonna be the head coach of St. John's!" pic.twitter.com/pPobkWxViS
Anderson was referring to St. John's Director of Athletics Mike Cragg, who had to scramble to hire Anderson after his choice of Porter Moser turned down the job.
2) "We're going to recruit quality on and off the floor. When you look at this guy and he says something, you can take that to the bank."
Anderson is talking about himself in this quote and his recruiting prowess. The new St. John's coach certainly does not lack any confidence and bravado.
3) "I have a nephew who plays for the New Jersey Nets, DeMarre Carroll."
Anderson's wife steps in to correct him that it is actually the Brooklyn Nets.
"She's my point guard. She points out every damn thing I get wrong."
4) "We're gonna hang our hats on our defense. We're gonna pick 'em up off the bus. Press, press, press. We're gonna get at it."
Anderson stressed defense a lot in his opening press conference and made it clear that will be the No. 1 priority on the court.
5) "It's gonna be sheer entertainment. You go to the bathroom during the break, you're gonna miss something. I can tell you that."
This was Anderson at his best on Friday, hyping up his expectations for the program.
6) "I'm big on family. My players are family. I'll give them a little hug when they need to, and I want them to hear ... I'll pop em upside the head when they need to as well."
Hopefully he is just speaking figuratively here, but Anderson is clear there will be a mix of love and discipline in his coaching style.
7) "Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"
Anderson was talking about the style of basketball he learned and how he plans to instill that at St. John's. It may be a little bumpy in the beginning, though, he warns.