Sacred Heart is the first Connecticut Ice winner following a 4-1 victory over No. 17 Quinnipiac at Webster Bank Arena in Bridgeport, Conn. on Sunday.
Five things to know from Sunday's game
1) Jason Cotton has been the star player for the Pioneers this season, and he continued that with a clutch goal in the second period that helped SHU pull away from the Bobcats. It was his 17th on the season, and after recording an assist as well to go along with a solid first night in the win over Yale on Saturday, Cotton was named the Connecticut Ice MVP.
2) Josh Benson was solid in net for the Pioneers, collecting 22 saves against a tough Quinnipiac forecheck. His only goal allowed was a rip from the blue line by Karlis Cukste that he didn't even see before it went in.
3) Also scoring for SHU was Ryan Steele (second star), Braeden Tuck, and Todd Goehring.
4) Matt Tugnutt was crucial for the Pioneers with their last two goals, collecting his 12th and 13th assist on the season to help his team. Jordan Kaplan also had his 11th assist of the season on the Steele goal.
5) With the win, SHU now has the bragging rights for all the Connecticut hockey schools.