NYCFC Head Coach Patrick Vieira spoke to the media on a conference call before the team's season begins on Sunday. Here's what he had to say…
- He has no set goal for the season, but hopes the players and team play well and he'll see where that takes them.
- He said the team had a strong preseason and the first game will be a great test of where they are as a team.
- He has not decided on what lineup or formation he will use on Sunday. He said it will be hard for him to choose a starting 11 every game, especially because he has so much depth in the midfield.
- He put a focus on the mental side of the game during the preseason, but stressed that "everything is important."
- He said he has a very good relationship with Frank Lampard and Andrea Pirlo, which will help him decide when they will play and when they will sit.
- He expects Jack Harrison to play this season, "much earlier than you think." Harrison, the first-overall pick in the MLS Draft, has been out since late January with a pelvic injury.
- He believes the MLS is growing very well and will continue to see good growth in the league.
- He said the salary cap is a major issue for the MLS, which hurts them as many players chase money to other leagues around the world, specifically China.
NYCFC takes on the Chicago Fire at 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 6.