Alain Vigneault met with the media on Wednesday prior to tonight's game against the Devils and said (NYR):
- On Chytil, "to show his skill. We haven't had the opportunity to see him because of his injury and he has only had a couple of practices. So far in practice we have seen a highly skilled, really good skater. He will get the opportunity, his first NHL game and he will remember that for the rest of his life."
- On Desharnais, "so far it's just been practice but it's been what I expect from a veteran player coming from another team. He is trying to learn the system, understand the little differences that we have from where he has played before. A couple of years ago he was a 50 point player, he sees our middle and the opportunity he has. I think he is excited about that and tonight he will get a first chance to play an exhibition game and hopefully he will be good."
- On versatility, "being able to play more than one position in the NHL is a big bonus and I would say that it's a must. You need to be able to play the wing and if you are a center you have to be able to play sides and contribute. Right now we are trying to sort out our things, it's only our second exhibition game. We are giving a few kids an opportunity and that is what we will do in the next couple of games also."
- On Chris Kreider, "there are whole different forms of leadership, it's the power to influence, in my mind, or at least a big part of leadership is a power to influence. Chris Kreider is one of the best conditioned athletes I have ever been associated with. The way he works out, the way he prepares himself physically he should be able to influence guys to do the same. He is more experienced, going into his 5th year, he knows the NHL, knows the pressure of the games, the pressure f the season and playoffs. He has to share that experience with his younger teammates. There are no excuses, it's those guys time to take a bigger role in our dressing room."
- On Jesper Fast, "still on target, everything is fine, skating every day. He is coming along real well. I don't expect him to start. If he isn't going to be there and we want to keep 13 forwards then it will give an opportunity with some other guys to start."
- On Bereglazov, "he is going to play in the next two games. There are a few guys who haven't that are going to play in the next two games also."
- Will Sean Day play, "not 100% sure, we still haven't made up our mind on that one yet."