Alain Vigneault met with the media prior to the game against Calgary and said (SNY):
- On McDonagh being out, "Mac has had lingering upper body injury since San Jose. I would say that he is day to day but probably won't make this trip."
- "we will talk about that after the game and figure out what we will do moving forward for the next 24 games."
- "I will tell you what I told my GM and President and Owner, I am going to try and win every game and that is what we have to do as a group. I believe that we are a goaltender being a roll to being back in the hunt, back into the playoffs. We started our season 4-7-2 and were a little inconsistent in the goaltending department, I felt that we were playing better than our record indicated. Goaltending got better, we went on an 18-8-3 run. We came back from the bye week and since that time we have been on a 3-9 run, a little inconsistent in the goaltedning department, I believe that we are playing better than our record indicates and I really believe that Hank and Pav can get on a roll and we can get back in the hunt and back in the playoffs. There is no doubt that when this story broke a couple of weeks ago that the mindset in the dressing room has been a little challenging, with what happened yesterday might be a little challenging but it's our job as coaches to keep our guys focused on the process and hockey and that is what we are going to do."
- "these are probably unusual circumstances, my job is to coach and get this team to win, their job is to play and find ways to win and we will work together, keep this hockey mode and I really believe, I have been saying it for a couple of days. We have been playing better, Hank is working with Ben, going with Pavs tonight. Hank has been working with Ben, I'm sure that their hard work together will pay off. Foundation for any team that wins, it's the goaltending. If the goaltending gets on a roll, and Hank has done that so many times for us, I believe he will do it again."
- "It's no different than any year, I am trying to win. A couple of weeks ago there was a leak about where our team might be going, I was asked directly if I think we can win the cup and I have had better teams and haven't won it yet, but I believe we can get in and we will try hard, I am telling you right now."
- "I"m not trying to use anything as motivation, I am trying to get our guys focused on what we need to do on the ice to have success and that is what we were working on."
- "I've had injuries before and teams have injuries, it's a great opportunity for some of our younger guys to come in and contribute to a winning team at this level. Great opportunity for a lot of guys, bigger role, it's time for them to seize the opportunity."
- On Pionk and Gilmour, "I talked to Keith, both of them have been playing extremely well, both of them skate and move the puck, play some PP obviously in Hartford. Both of them have been on top of their game, they will bring energy and enthusiasm and bring us a good game tonight."
- On Jimmy Vesey, "Jimmy skated today, where that puts us, he had a non-contact sweater yesterday. I would say that he is coming along but I haven't talked to Rammer today but I know he skated this morning.'