Alain Vigneault met with the media on Wednesday after practice and said (NYR):
- On Puempel going back in, "Buch had a so-so game last game. Part of the growing process of a young player. Puemps is a young player and I just feel that it's time to get him in and get him a game."
- On the Islanders, "System wise, I have watched a couple of their games, I haven't seen a lot of difference but a lot of their players have picked up their games. Their goalie started off real well for them and without getting into specific names there are some players who are playing some pretty good hockey. They didn't particularly play well last night so I figure that they will be highly motivated, they always are against us. Should be a good game."
- On only having played them twice so far, "the schedule is laid out the way it is and I can't really comment on why this is happening at this time but both teams are fighting hard to get into the playoffs so it should be a hard fought game."
- On the rivalry, "I get up for every game and whether it be the Isles or an Original Six team or the Devils, teams that are close by, you are always focused and always ready and all the games we have played against the Islanders this year and in the past have been challenging and hard fought and that is what I expect."
- On Buchnevich, "I think that right now he has to make a couple of plays with the puck. Prior to this he was getting an opportunity on the PP, 5 on 5, he is a skilled player who can make plays with the puck and that is what we need from him. There is always a learning curve and he is going through it. The fact that he missed a lot of time and came back and was energized and maybe there is a little dip with the energy level. It's one game and we will go from there."
- On the PP, "we are a really spending a lot of time on it. It starts with execution. You talk about making plays but you have to simplify it too, 2-3 passes, lets get something at the net. Sometimes you force things that aren't there and when you get a lane on the PP and can get something on the net, create a scramble or rebound, it's a good option. Simplifying it is a good option and that is what we are talking through with our players."
- On Vesey, "he has handled it very well. I look at the last game where he got off to, he was skating real well, playing the body and seemed like he had some good energy. I made the switch early. Pavel was looking a little nervous on the ice with his puck decisions so I made the switch. Turned out that Pavel with Oscar and Jesper played a good game, they played fine and gave us some good minutes. Jimmy had his legs and had some jump and sparks and he was physical. He is doing exactly what we expected, that any young player does."