Alain Vigneault met with the media prior to tonight's game in Anaheim and said (NYR):
- On Kevin Hayes, "he's day to day, working on his rehab and trying to get into the lineup."
- Same lineup, "yes."
- On the PK, "there were definitely some breakdowns on those, a major turnover by one of our defensemen that led to a direct goal there. We will address the issues of structure and we will address the execution when we have opportunities to get the puck down. PKing had been one of our stronger assets and it needs to get back on track here."
- On tonight's game, "I thought that for the most part our defensive game was good, that is what we talked about prior to the game. Loved how we competed in the first period and played, we had some real good looks and what we need to do against good hockey teams, put three periods like that together. We were good in the third, had some looks, opportunities but the second period in the last game hurt us. Lets learn from it and lets bring a good game tonight."
- Staal is good, "yes."
- More on Hayes, "we have practice tomorrow and then a morning skate so we will sort it out and hopefully he can come in for the last game, I'm not quite sure yet."
- Have you spoken to Shattenkirk since surgery, "I got a quick email saying that everything went well. I haven't talked to him yet, talk to him when I get back."
- On Brendan Smith, "Smitty is trying hard and trying to play with bite and get back to the dependable Smitty that we all know and love. That is a player that walks that line and every game he has 3-4 plays, and we have talked to him about this, that can make the difference on one side or the other. He needs to pick the right side and he knows it and is working hard and we have a lot of faith and confidence that he will help us moving forward."
- On DeAngelo, "it's a small sample size. He has looked alright. Defensively he is trying to be dependable, I've seen a good stick. He wants to play with a bit bite which is good but we need to see that offensive puck handling D, we need to see him breaking the puck out of our end, finding the right options. I need to see him jumping into the play at the right time and supporting the attack and getting his shot through, that is what an offensive defensemen is supposed to do, jump into the play and create some stuff and we need to see that from him."