(AP) -- Red-hot J.T. Miller scored from in close after the Rangers squandered a two-goal third-period lead and New York came back to beat Buffalo 6-3 Monday night for its eighth straight win over the Sabres.
Derick Brassard scored twice and Mats Zuccarello added a power-play goal after Miller snapped a 3-all tie for the Rangers, who headed into the NHL All-Star break with three wins in four games.
Rookie defenseman Dylan McIlrath and Viktor Stalberg also scored for the Rangers.
Zemgus Girgensons scored twice in a 1:13 span early in the third period to rally Buffalo from a 3-1 deficit. It was his first game after missing four with an upper-body injury.
Brian Gionta also scored for Buffalo, which lost its third straight game overall. Rookie Jack Eichel assisted on both Girgensons' goals. >> Read more...
- It's a win, a nice response to yesterday's game but you can and while you aren't supposed to criticize a win, how the Rangers let this game get to 3-3 is beyond me. Yes, the Rangers came right back scored easily, then scored again, but the fact that this game was ever in question after the Rangers went up 3-1 in the third is very bothersome.
- The game shouldn't have even been close or 1-1 for as long as it was with all the posts and seemingly open nets the Rangers were missing on. They dominated the chances and held the puck most of the game but it wasn't reflecting that way on the scoreboard early on.
- In the very good news department: Derick Brassard came up big, Mats Zuccarello scored and was making nifty plays like his old self.
- It's so much easier to forgive JT Miller when he makes some of his "plays" with the puck when he is putting the puck in the net.
- While the Rangers passed the actual half-way point a few weeks ago, the first half of the season ended tonight and while the Rangers are in a playoff spot I think everyone would agree that it just wasn't good enough. The Rangers need to be a lot better after the break to guarantee themselves a playoff spot without having to battle it down to the last few games/last week of the season.