Alexandar Georgiev allowed three first-period goals before he was pulled as the Rangers lost to the Washington Capitals 4-2 on Monday at Madison Square Garden. >> Box score
- 2:50 WAS T.J. Oshie; Assists: Nicklas Backstrom, Jakub Jerabek
- 5:13 WAS Matt Niskanen; Assists: Evgeny Kuznetsov, Alex Ovechkin
- 8:54 WAS Ovechkin (power play) Assists: John Carlson, Backstrom
- 16:39 WAS Kuznetsov (short handed); Assist: Alex Chiasson
- 13:16 NYR Lias Andersson; Assist: Jimmy Vesey
- 4:26 NYR Mats Zuccarello; Assists: Filip Chytil, Rob O'Gara
From the Rangers Game Notes:
- TEENAGE DREAM - According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Andersson and Chytil are the first pair of teenagers who have played in the same game with the Rangers since Dec. 19, 1974 (Dave Maloney, who was playing in his second career NHL game, and Ron Greschner). In addition, Andersson and Chytil became the first pair of Rangers first-round draft picks to play in a game with the team in the season immediately following their draft year since Ron Duguay and Lucien DeBlois were teammates with the Blueshirts in 1977-78. Also according to the Elias Sports Bureau, Andersson and Chytil became the first pair of teenagers to both record a point in the same game since Maloney and Greschner on Dec. 18, 1974.
- Five of the Rangers' own first round draft picks were in the lineup for tonight's contest (Marc Staal - 2005; Chris Kreider - 2009; Brady Skjei - 2012; Lias Andersson - 2017; Filip Chytil - 2017). In addition, 14 players on the Rangers roster have only played in the NHL as a member of the Blueshirts (Andersson, Buchnevich, Chytil, Fast, Georgiev, Gilmour, Hayes, Kreider, Lundqvist, Pionk, Skjei, Staal, Vesey, and Zuccarello).
- Lias Andersson became the first Ranger to wear jersey No. 50 in a regular season game in franchise history. Andersson became the fourth Ranger this season to wear a jersey number in a regular season game for the first time in the Blueshirts' 92-year history (Andersson - No. 50; Filip Chytil - No. 72; Brandon Halverson - No. 75; Alexandar Georgiev - No. 90). Note: Georgiev wore jersey No. 90 in each of his first two NHL appearances on Feb. 22 at Montreal and Feb. 23 vs. Minnesota before switching to jersey No. 40
- On a period to period basis you could see how much more comfortable Filip Chytil and Lias Andersson were getting. Both showed off their skillsets with Andersson playing a two-way/physical game and Chytil making plays with the puck.
- Good for them to get their first points and also play in a game against one of the top teams in the league. These two will have ups and downs on their way to hopefully leading the Rangers back to the playoffs but tonight was a nice start and step for Chytil and Andersson.
- This was Vlad Namestnikov's best game in a while for the Rangers or at least the one where he was most noticeable. He had a big chance in the third that could have made it a one-goal game but put it right through the crease. These last six games are important for him also, especially if he is looking for a multi-year deal from the Rangers.
- Also more noticeable for the second straight game: Jimmy Vesey.
- In terms of the actual game, this one started out like the kind of baseball game where position players are on the mound in the later innings. The Caps just dominated play, chased Alex Georgiev and built up enough of a lead that held off the Rangers comeback.
- A rematch between these two teams on Wednesday, then the Tampa Rangers come to town and then the season ends with four straight on the road.
The Rangers face the Washington Capitals on the road Wednesday at 8 p.m.