Dan Girardi scored a go-ahead goal 1:55 into the third period to lead the New York Rangers to a 3-2 win over the Arizona Coyotes at Madison Square Garden on Sunday. >> Read more
- 0:33 AZ Radim Vrbata; Assist: Connor Murphy
- 12:13 NYR Josh Jooris; Assists: Michael Grabner, Jesper Fast
- 5:45 NYR (PP) J.T. Miller; Assists: Ryan McDonagh, Brandon Pirri
- 16:18 AZ Vrbata; Assists: Max Domi, Christian Dvorak
- 1:55 NYR Dan Girardi; Assist: Brady Skjei
- 3: Ryan McDonagh
- 2: Radim Vrbata
- 1: Dan Girardi
- This was not the Rangers finest game by any means but they found a way to win a game where they turned the puck over nearly as many times as they had shots on goal.
- You can probably point to this performance being the result of a second half of a back to back after a very tough game in Washington last night. It was very much out of last year's playbook, with all the turnovers, than how the team has played so far this year.
- Jimmy Vesey and Rick Nash look to have a very nice level of chemistry. They were creating Grade A opportunities throughout the night....but didn't score.
- JT Miller had a very strong weekend and looks to be continuing the strong play he displayed last season.
- I'm not sure where things will shake out with the defense and Dan Girardi moving forward but I do think that when Girardi is healthy he will play.
- Overall it's a four-point weekend for the Rangers and the first time they have been able to string back to back wins together. It's been a pretty good start for the Rangers with room to still improve in many areas. They have, so far, set a tone and an identity for what kind of team they want to be and how they want to play. Different things will still be worked out but it's nice to see the Rangers start the season with a foundation they can build upon.
The Rangers host the Boston Bruins on Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET.