2/27/17 | 7:36PM: Bob McKenzie said on TSN that there have been negotiations with Detroit about an extension for Smith and that the Wings will decide shortly if they will keep or move him.
McKenzie said, "New York Rangers are one of many teams interested in Brendan Smith."
Aaron Ward noted that a possible extension for Smith would be three-years at $3.75 million.
2/27/17 | 5:30PM: EJ Hradek of the NHL Network said on Don La Greca's podcast that he is hearing the Winter Classic next year will be played at Citi Field and that it will likely include the Rangers and possibly the Buffalo Sabres.
Hradek said that he wasn't reporting this as hard news but that he was hearing it would be Citi Field as the venue, feature the Rangers and possibly Buffalo as part of it being the 10th Anniversary of the first Winter Classic.
The Rangers would need to be the road team in the game due to Madison Square Garden having a tax exemption. (NY Times)
The 24-year-old has played in six of the last nine and 15 of the last 23 filling in for various injured defensemen.
Adam Clendening has played in six of the last nine games and 15 of the past 23 for the Rangers.
He has played the past three games as a replacement for Kevin Klein, who is out with back spasms.
Larry Brooks writes that Clendening has "done fine, just fine" while being paired with Brady Skjei. (NY Post)
Brian Compton, Nick Licalzi, and Adam Rotter take a look at the playoff race, and discuss if the Rangers are better off as a wild card team. Later, the guys chat with Dan Rosen of NHL.com about the possibility of acquiring Blues defenseman Kevin Shattenkirk.
2/27/17 | 4:56PM: Alex Burrows has been traded to Ottawa and former Ranger Brian Boyle has been sent from Tampa Bay to Toronto.
11:07AM: Larry Brooks wrote again, following the Rangers loss to Columbus, that the Rangers may be better served to acquire a forward since the Rangers have started to struggle scoring. (NY Post)
Brooks writes that if the price is reasonable, the Rangers could look at guys like Patrick Sharp or Radim Vrbata and then put Michael Grabner onto the fourth line. (NY Post)
Brooks had previously suggested adding a forward and mentioned Alex Burrows as an option.
The Rangers are 7-2-1 in their last 10 games and were 3-1-1 in their stretch of five games in eight nights.
Prior to last night's loss to Columbus the Rangers had played in three straight OT games with the first two OT games going the full length and ending in a shootout.
The Rangers were down 3-1 heading to the third period last night and John Tortorella said after the game that he expected a bigger push in the third period but said "I've watched them, and they have, they have played a lot of hockey." (Rangers Game Notes)
Rick Nash said that the Rangers were outworked by Columbus and that the Blue Jackets stuck with their game plan while the Rangers "got off track" with their gameplan. (MSG)
John Tortorella said that his team didn't give up much and added, "they've played a lot of hockey: five games in eight nights. I'm not sure how much gas they had left. I thought we just played a smart third period of keeping it simple." (Game Notes)
Alain Vigneault said that Columbus made high percentage plays while the Rangers made low percentage plays with the puck. (MSG)
He said that the whole group was "a little off" and that Columbus was "by far the better team tonight." (MSG)
Alain Vigneault met with the media on MSG following the Rangers loss to Columbus:
- On traffic in front of Hank, "tonight is a matter of one team making high percentage plays with the puck and the other team making low percentage plays with the puck. We spent quite a bit of time in their end, didn't get a lot out of it. What we did get out of it were offensive zone turnovers that led to Grade A opportunities on their part. They were by far the better team tonight."
Henrik Lundqvist spoke on MSG after the Rangers loss to Columbus and said:
- On the third goal, "couple of breakdowns when they got the third one. I have to watch it to really see what happened. They hurt us on their transition game. They had so many odd-man rushes. We had more shots, but it felt like they played a smarter game and they hurt us. They have some quick players who had some breakaways, 2 on 1s, 3 on 1s and it was a tough game."
- On Atkinson, "he comes in with a lot of speed. He has a good shot. Everything he does he does with speed and does it well. "
Tags: Henrik Lundqvist
The New York Rangers lost to the Columbus Blue Jackets, 5-2, Sunday at Madison Square Garden. >> Read more
- 1:02 CLB Alexander Wennberg; Assists: David Savard, Oliver Bjorkstrand
- 4:07 NYR Rick Nash; Assists: Jimmy Vesey, Derek Stepan
- 6:47 CLB Cam Atkinson (power play); Assists: Sam Gagner, Zach Werenski
- 9:47 CLB Wennberg; Assist: Oliver Bjorkstrand
- 4:12 CLB Cam Atkinson; Assist: Brandon Dubinsky
- 19:36 CLB Josh Anderson; Assists: Scott Hartnell, William Karlsson
- 19:59 NYR Jesper Fast; Assists: Marc Staal, Oscar Lindberg
4:49PM: Alain Vigneault spoke with the media prior to today's game against Columbus and said (NYR):
- On the lineup, "just one question mark up front. There is a forward that has a lower body injury. I think he will be alright. In theory, at this time, we should be going with the same lineup."
- Who would come in, "Buch is sick, has the flu, so it would be Puemps."
- "For me it means absolutely nothing. As a coach you coach the players that you have and focus on getting them prepared and ready for games. I have shared my thoughts on our group, I like our group. I'm focused on tonight and what we have to do."
Henrik Lundqvist is 10-2-1 in his last 14 appearances and has a save percentage of .939 and a GAA of 1.91.
Lundqvist said on Friday that he has been feeling good about his game the last few weeks and that he is continuing to work hard and improve his game. (NYR)
He said that he has been trying to keep his game simple and that everything comes down to "stop" the puck. (MSG)
Tags: Henrik Lundqvist
2/25/17 | 9:20PM: According to Larry Brooks, three sources have told him in the past few days that whenever anyone tries to talk trade with the Rangers they ask for JT Miller. (NY Post)
Brooks writes that in response to those requests, Jeff Gorton and the Rangers are being told, "no, thank you." (NY Post)
He writes that Miller has the "greatest multi-dimensional upside in the organization." (NY Post)
Tags: J.T. Miller
Mika Zibanejad had a goal and an assist last night in the Rangers OT win over New Jersey.
Zibanejad was a plus three in 15:46, with two shots on goal, 1 shot attempt blocked and 1 that missed the net.
He played 4:40 in the first, 5:02 in the second, 5:23 in the third and 41 seconds in the third.
Tags: Mika Zibanejad
2/27/17 | 12:08PM: Craig Custance had a source shoot down any potential Shattenkirk deal with the Rangers that would involve Chris Kreider. (ESPN)
He noted that there is a growing belief that the Rangers are the "heavy favorites" for Shattenkirk in free agency. (ESPN)
2/26/17 | 9:15AM: Bruce Garrioch writes that a sign and trade likely won't happen with Shattenkirk and that the "belief" is that he will sign with the Rangers next season. (Ottawa Sun)
Alain Vigneault spoke with the media on MSG following the Rangers OT win over NJ and said:
- Did you sense they would tie it, "If you analyze the overall game, we started off, Antti gave us a chance, he made some huge saves in the beginning which permitted us to find our legs and our hands. We played extremely well until 2 minutes and 30 something seconds in the second, they have one chance. We have a faceoff in our zone, we lose, they get two scoring chances, that shift is extended and the puck ends up in the back of the net on a goal that Antti would probably like to have back, just like their second goal. They make it 3-2 and have some momentum. We battled hard, got some looks, were able to score, Adam was able to score the tying goal and Antti makes a huge save in OT and we come right back and put it in. That's a wonderful game of hockey."
- On Mika, "The one in Toronto in the shootout probably gave him some confidence. He played a good game, he battled hard for pucks, that was his man, Palmieri, on the chance in OT, but he got a chance to redeem himself and he put it betw
Mika Zibanejad said on MSG:
- On the goal, "I turned pretty quick and Brady made a good pass and I was able to make my move and score."
- On his move, "I had been doing that a couple of times before. I felt it was an opportunity to do it was nice to see it go in."
- On his confidence, "it's just one game. I could stand here and say it will do a whole lot and then go another 15 games and not score. Just take it a game at a time and focus on my game and let the rest come. It was nice to see the puck cross the goal line."
- "We crated chances. We didn't do maybe a good enough job getting the puck to the net, as much as we wanted to. We had a lot of zone time and were tiring them down but it was a good shot by Adam to get it tied up there and nice to get a win."
Raanta said on MSG, "I remember when Hank was saying in the Leafs game when they got the breakaway and he was just thinking "stop it" and that was pretty much my mindset also to go and do that. If you can make a couple of saves in OT you always give your guys a chance to score."
- 6:40 Rangers Chris Kreider; Assists: Dan Girardi, Mats Zuccarello
- 17:32 Rangers Oscar Lindberg; Assists: Jesper Fast, Nick Holden
- 18:28 Devils Adam Henrique; Assists: Beau Bennett; P.A. Parenteau
Mika Zibanejad has not scored a goal for the Rangers in 15 games but has put the puck in the net twice in the last week for the Rangers.
Last Sunday Zibanejad scored on the PP against Washington but it was disallowed because it was offside.
Zibanejad scored the shootout winner on Thursday in Toronto.
Tags: Mika Zibanejad
Alain Vigneault spoke about the trade deadline on Friday and said that he likes the current team that he has.
He said that he likes how this group of Rangers prepare, he likes their work ethic and how they compete.
Vigneault said that he and Jeff Gorton communicate about the team every day and that Gorton knows how Vigneault feels about the roster.
In his return to the lineup on Thursday, Brandon Pirri had an assist and played 10:57.
Pirri had three shots on goal, 1 shot attempt that was blocked, 1 shot that missed the net, 1 hit, 1 takeaway and 1 blocked shot.
He played 3:34 in the first, 4:30 in the second, 2:53 in the third and 8:59 at even strength with 1:58 on the PP.
Tags: Brandon Pirri
Alain Vigneault met with the media on Friday after Rangers practice and said (NYR):
- On Klein, "like I said yesterday, back spasms. I don't expect him on the weekend for either of the two games. It seized up on him more than we expected. See how he is Monday and go from there."
- On Girardi, "Maintenance. He should be fine tomorrow."
- On the goalies, "Antti tomorrow and Hank on Sunday."
Pavel Buchnevich said that during his time in the KHL he was only a healthy scratch once and that he was a healthy scratch for the second time in his NHL career last night against the Leafs. (NHL.com/RU)
He said that he wants to play, score and help the Rangers and that Scott Arniel was the one who told him he would be scratched. (NHL.com/RU)
Steve Zipay noted yesterday that Buchnevich had a long chat with Arniel before practice.
Buchnevich has been speaking with Mika Zibanejad a lot and Zibanejad said that everyone has to remember that Buchnevich is still a rookie and playing in his first year overseas. (NHL.com/RU)
Tags: Pavel Buchnevich
Alain Vigneault announced earlier today that Antti Raanta would start for the Rangers tomorrow in New Jersey and that Henrik Lundqvist will start Sunday against Columbus.
Raanta last played on 2/13 against Columbus, stopping 30 of 32 shots in a Rangers win.
Earlier this season he shut out the Devils, stopping all 19 shots that he faced.
Tags: Antti Raanta, Henrik Lundqvist
2:13PM: Klein is reportedly suffering from back spasms and will not be available in either of the Rangers games this weekend. (Cyrgalis)
Dan Girardi should be fine to play tomorrow. (Cyrgalis)
1:17PM: The Rangers have announced that Dan Girardi and Kevin Klein are not practicing today and that both have been given maintenance days. (NYR)
Tags: Dan Girardi, Kevin Klein
Henrik Lundqvist described last night's game against Toronto as one that he felt was similar to the game the Rangers played Tuesday against Montreal. (MSG)
He said that as a goalie he has a short memory but that he remembered losing in the shootout on Tuesday to Montreal and "didn't want to come up short twice in two games." (MSG)
Lundqvist said that he felt it was "really important" to come away from last night's game with a win. (MSG)
Tags: Henrik Lundqvist
The Rangers were trailing 1-0 in Toronto on Tuesday until just past the halfway point of the third when Kevin Hayes put the puck toward the net and it hit JT Miller and went in.
The Rangers out-shot the Leafs 14-9 and out-attempted them 24-18 in the first period, out-shot them 11-9 and out-attempted them 34 to 16 in the second and were out-shot by the Leafs 13-8 in the third but out-attempted them 21-19. (HockeyStats)
Overall the Rangers out-attempted the Leafs 88-59, including 7-3 in OT. (HockeyStats)
Alain Vigneault met with the media on MSG following the Rangers win and said:
- On not being frustrated, "we were playing the right way. We had a great first period, quite a few Grade A opportunities and their goalie made some big saves. We had one missed assignment in the first period and the puck ended up in the back of our net. I really liked how we were playing and that is what we said going into the third, continue do what we have been doing. We were able to get a goal and no doubt that 3 on 3 was pretty exciting at both ends and we were able to get it done."
Henrik Lundqvist made 32 saves and Mats Zuccarello and Mika Zibanejad tallied shootout goals as the Rangers defeated the Maple Leafs, 2-1, on Thursday night at the Air Canada Centre. >> Read more
- 10:56 TOR Connor Brown; Assists: Tyler Bozak, Jake Gardiner
- 10:50 NYR J.T. Miller; Assists: Kevin Hayes, Brandon Pirri
- William Nylander: STOPPED
- Mats Zuccarello: SCORED
- Auston Matthews: SCORED
- Mika Zibanejad: SCORED
- Nazem Kadri: STOPPED
8:34PM: Darren Dreger noted the Rangers as a team that will "dabble" in talks for Shattenkirk and are one of the teams that has expressed interest. (TSN)
The rental price for Shattenkirk is reportedly a first round pick, top prospect and "something else," according to Bob McKenzie. (TSN)
McKenzie also noted that three teams in the past year have made deals with St. Louis for Shattenkirk pending that a contract extension could be signed. (TSN)
He said that Shattenkrik reportedly turned down an extension of seven-years and $6 million per season during those talks. (TSN)
11:04PM: Alain Vigneault said that Klein tweaked his back during the morning skate today.
The injury is believed to be "not serious" according to Brooks. (NY Post)
7:31PM: Kevin Klein will not play during the Rangers' game against the Maple Leafs on Thursday night due to an upper body injury, the team said.
Tags: Kevin Klein
The Rangers face off against the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Air Canada Centre on Thursday at 7:30 p.m. ET.
According to STATS:
Tags: Rick Nash
Alain Vigneault said that when he can roll four lines and get Jesper Fast and Oscar Lindberg out there regularly the line plays with "pretty good pace."
He said that Fast is "such a hard worker" and that Lindberg has been "playing better" lately.
He added, "they have been getting some offensive zone time and getting some looks. Sometimes the flow of the game, with special teams on either side, you lose that flow and they don't play as much as I would like to get them out there."
In 16 games in 2017, Fast has 1 goal, 2 assists and an average of 12:59 per game.
Tags: Jesper Fast, Oscar Lindberg
Alain Vigneault met with the media prior to tonight's game in Toronto and said (NYR):
- On the Leafs, "their skill level, their speed, the way they challenge you 1 on 1. They are a good team. They play fast and make it real hard on the opposition. I watched their last games. They keep coming and I am looking forward to tonight."
- On Vesey, "Jimmy is an easy guy to coach. He wants to learn, is driven, has a great work ethic. What I had heard about him prior to coming to NY is what I saw in training camp and what has followed up after. He is not afraid to go to the net or the tough areas and has a good skill set and he is getting better with every game."
- On playing on the road, "we have been a good road team since I have been in NY, not quite sure what it was prior. I've mentioned this many times to our NY group that there isn't home way to play or road way, just the right way. We try to play the right way at home and on the road and fairly successful on the road and try to continue that tonight."
Leafs coach Mike Babcock spoke about Michael Grabner today and was asked if he was surprised with how Grabner has produced for the Rangers.
Babcock said that he has known Grabner "forever," dating back to his time in Spokane in the WHL, and said that the Leafs coaches and Lou Lamoriello wanted him back "big time" but the organization chose to play their kids instead.
He continued that Grabner had 100 breakaways last season and went 0 for 100. He then said that the last time the Rangers played the Leafs Grabner was 2 for 4 on breakaways and joked that the Leafs "should keep his breakaway count under 4 tonight.
Tags: Michael Grabner
4:29PM: On Brandon Pirri coming back in, Alain Vigneault said "he has done a good job for us. He has been out for a while but there is no doubt that his shot and his release on the PP was an effective weapon for us. I wanted to get that back in. We are 7-1-1 but we seem to be talking about our PP a lot. It's obviously not clicking the way we would like but we will put Pirrs back in and hopefully he will help us there."
2:32PM: Pirri spoke this morning and said that he needs to produce to stay in the lineup and that he isn't worried about things he can't control. (NYR)
On the PP, Pirri said that the Rangers need to simplify and that with the amount of playmakers the Rangers have "there wasn't that one guy, where every time he got it he was shooting the puck. For me, if I am hitting the net then it breaks down their PK and allows the more skilled guys to find those guys back door." (NYR)
Pirri said "shoot the puck, it's pretty simple." (NYR)
Tags: Brandon Pirri
Rick Nash scored on a breakaway on Tuesday against Montreal and has a three-game point streak.
Since returning to the Rangers lineup after the bye week, Nash has 4 goals and 6 assists in 17 games, with 46 shots on goal and an average of 17:05.
He said that he thinks his game has been good lately, has been around the net and making plays with the puck. (Game Notes)
Alain Vigneault said that Nash played well against Montreal, scored a big goal and that his line had some "real positive shifts on the ice."
Tags: Rick Nash
The Rangers were 0-for-4 against Montreal on the power play Tuesday night in a total of 7:13.
The Rangers are 1-for-18 in the past seven games on the PP and 3-for-39 in their past 14 games. (NY Post)
Alain Vigneault said , "there is no doubt that we have some adjustments to make, tonight, compared to maybe the last nine or eight games we had more than two attempts and we just need to execute better and simplify a bit more."
Henrik Lundqvist said that the Rangers played a "good game" against Montreal, did a lot of "good things" and played well enough to win. (Rangers Game Notes)
He said that the Rangers had the looks and were working hard and that while he was disappointed with only getting one point he said "I appreciate the effort here from everyone." (Rangers Game Notes)
JT Miller said that the Rangers played a lot better after the first period and that they responded well in the second and third and limited the chances Montreal had. (Rangers Game Notes)
Alain Vigneault met with the media on MSG following the Rangers loss to Montreal and said:
- On the game, "there is no doubt that in the first period we didn't manage the puck well. We knew they were going to come out with a sense of urgency but we needed to make more plays with the puck, which I thought we did in the second period. In the third it was a tight checking game from both teams. In OT we had some looks, their goalie, both goalies made big saves at both times."
- Why not use Nash in the shootout, "I had a feeling...Jimmy had scored after the first three that a lot of times that I use. Shootouts are shootouts and it just went another way tonight."
On MSG, JT Miller was asked by John Giannone about the save Carey Price made near the end of OT and said:
- On the stop, "it was a good save. I probably could have gotten it up a little more but it was a pretty good one."
- On tipping your cap to Price, "that is a pretty World Class save. I only got to see it once but it was one of the better ones I have seen lately."
Henrik Lundqvist said, "I just said nice save. You gotta appreciate goaltending when it's that good. We had a chance to finish the game there but he made a really good save.
Tags: J.T. Miller
- 3:55 MON Andrew Shaw; Assists: Shea Weber, Alexei Emelin
- 10:03 NYR Oscar Lindberg; Assists: Jesper Fast, Brady Skjei
- 1:42 MON Shea Weber (Power Play); Assists: Andrei Markov, Max Pacioretty
- 9:26 NYR Rick Nash; Assists: Ryan McDonagh, Jimmy Vesey
- Mats Zuccarello: SCORES
- Brian Flynn: STOPPED
- Mika Zibanejad: STOPPED
- Alex Radulov: SCORES
- Derek Stepan: MISSED
- Max Pacioretty: STOPPED
- Jimmy Vesey: STOPPED
- Alex Galchenyuk: MISSED
- JT Miller: STOPPED
- Paul Byron: SCORES
2/21/17: Alain Vigneault said on Tuesday, "I think that for Mika, the last couple of games have been better. There has been, more confidence in maybe his health, that was a serious injury he was coming back from and you can work out all you want but you need to get back in the groove and feeling good about himself and the last little while he has taken a step in the right direction. He is competing harder for loose pucks, he is hanging onto the puck more and making better plays." (NYR)
2/18/17 | Since returning from his broken leg, Mika Zibanejad has played in 13 games and has 2 goals and 4 assists.
Zibanejad has not scored since netting two in his first game back and only has 1 assist in the past five games.
Tags: Mika Zibanejad
Alain Vigneault met with the media following the Rangers morning skate today and said (NYR)
- On Derek Stepan, yes. He is good to go."
- On the last game against Montreal, "we've moved on. It wasn't, obviously, a pretty short amount of time where we gave up those three quick goals. We've moved on and our game is better, starting from our goalie out. We obviously know that we will be in for a tough one tonight. Montreal has had a couple of days to practice with their new coach. Thee is obviously a sense of urgency on their part. We had a couple of good meetings today and will be ready for tonight."
Brady Skjei played 17:57 against the Capitals on Sunday with 1 shot on goal, 1 shot attempt blocked and 3 hits.
Alain Vigneault praised Skjei on Monday for his ability to beat forecheckers to the puck or to skate the puck away from pressure.
He added, "It makes it a lot easier on our game instead of defending and that last night was one of Brady's most effective games as far as beating the forecheck."
Tags: Brady Skjei
11:53AM: Alain Vigneault announced that Stepan would play tonight and that the Rangers will use the same lineup that defeated Washington on Sunday. (NYR)
10:45AM: Derek Stepan is on the ice at the Rangers morning skate today with likely scratches Matt Puempel, Brandon Pirri, Adam Clendening an Antti Raanta. (NYR)
Chris Kreider is also skating this morning. (Cyrgalis)
In his return to the lineup yesterday, Pavel Buchnevich played 10:46 and had 3 shots on goal and 1 hit.
Buchnevich played 4:28 in the first period, 3:13 in the second and 3:05 in the third with 9:13 of the time at even strength and 1:33 on the PP.
Alain Vigneault said on Monday that Buchnevich was "involved, assertive, competitive"against the Capitals and that it allowed him to make plays.
Vigneault added, "It was a better game for him. Again, such a young player and anyone who watches the game, he has tremendous amount of skill and sees the ice well. He just needs to get more experience and get stronger and he will continue to make those plays and be more effective in one on ones."
Tags: Pavel Buchnevich
2/21/17 | Pirri said that since the Rangers are winning it's hard to be down about not playing and that he is just work hard so that when he gets back in there won't be any adjustment period. (NY Post)
He said that he knows he can help the Rangers. (NY Post)
2/20/17 | Alain Vigneault was asked on Monday about the struggles of the PP recently and whether he has considered putting Brandon Pirri back into the lineup.