Keith Yandle wrote a piece for The Players Tribune where he talks about how much he loves being part of the Rangers and how much this team wants to win.
Some of what Yandle said includes:
- Mario, the elevator attendant, at Madison Square Garden "gets every Rangers player and coach amped for every single game, no matter if it's the first of the season or a Game 7."
- Yandle and Hayes "do a little dance" with Mario and sing the goal song while in the elevator together.
- The best view in America is that of the Madison Square Garden ice.
- When he first joined the team he ran his hands over the block lettering of "RANGERS" on the front of his jersey and he had to go check out how it looked in the mirror.
- Ryan McDonagh prevented him from going out for warmups without his helmet
- He got the call about being traded to the Rangers while at a birthday party, "at this cool bouncy castle place" with his Coyote teammates and their families.
- He flew into NJ and was then helicoptered over to MSG before his firs game.
- He was told it was a 20 minute drive to MSG from the airport in Jersey but a 10 minute helicopter ride and "they wanted to bring you in style. Welcome to New York City."
- His daughters ask him how he knows fans who recognize him on the street.
- A photo of the 1994 parade is hung "strategically" in the trainers room to provide extra motivation when dealing with injuries.
He closed by saying, "New York, pull on your sweaters. It's time to go to work."