Patrik Laine pulled off a hat trick and Jets goaltender Steve Mason saved all 31 shots to lead Winnipeg a 2-0 win over the Rangers on Tuesday night. >> Box score
- 10:04 WIN Patrik Laine; Assists: Paul Stastny, Dustin Byfuglien
- 11:01 WIN Patrik Laine; Assists: Ben Chiarot, Joe Morrow
- 19:26 WIN Patrik Laine (ENG) Assists: Blake Wheeler
From the Rangers Game Note:
- Kevin Hayes led all skaters - and tied a single-game career-high - with seven shots on goal, led all skaters with nine faceoff wins (9-for-15; 60.0%), and was credited with two takeaways in 17:52 of ice time. Hayes recorded seven shots on goal in a game for the second time in his NHL career and for the second time this season (also on Jan. 13 vs. NY Islanders).
- Pavel Buchnevich registered two shots on goal while skating in his 100th career NHL game tonight.
- John Gilmour was credited with two blocked shots and recorded one shot on goal while skating in a team-high 23:49 of ice time in tonight's contest.
- Tonight is how I expect most of the rest of the season to go for the Rangers. They will work hard but not generate enough chances, get good goaltending but get burned with sloppy play and giving guys too much space.
- This could have been a game and possibly a close game if Mats Zuccarello was able to convert on his two great chances. Somehow neither of those pucks went in and when you combine that with the chances that missed the net, the Rangers get shut out at home.
- Patrik Laine is a lot of fun to watch but it's even more fun to watch him when he's scoring against teams that aren't the Rangers.
- Next up the Rangers visit their old friends and teammates in Tampa Bay. It's not expected that Ryan McDonagh will play but it will certainly be interesting to see how JT Miller plays and what he brings on Thursday.
The Lightining will host the Rangers on Thursday at 7:30 p.m.