4:44PM: Lundqvist spoke in Chicago today and said (NYR):
- Are you disappointed, "of course, you want to play. Antti is playing well. I know that I need to raise my level a little bit. My game is right there, I just need to clean up a few things and be in good shape. Take these days to work a little harder in practice and try to get to the level where I can be and need to be."
- When did you find out, "yea, after the game.....you do what is best for the team and Antti is playing well and I understand, of course. At the same time you want to play. It's up to me to try and raise my level and the only thing that I can do is work harder in practice and try to prepare for the next start, whenever that is."
- Does that make you eager for the next start, "right now, we play so many games and we take it day by day. Today I was focused on just getting a good practice and I think that it's important not to overthink, over-analyze this. It's a lot of games, parts have been good, some good games but then there are some things I need to clean up. Once that happens it will be better results for me and better results for the team. I think it's important sometimes to take a step back and look at where you are and what you need to do."
- Does this have to do with AV wanting to limit your starts, "no, I knew coming into the season that I would play a little less. At the same time you need to earn your minutes. I don't expect to play if I don't play well. You need to put pressure on yourself to perform. It's a competitive league and Antti is a great goalie. As it should be, you try to use every angle of this toe motivate yourself to work harder and to get to the level where you need to be. I don't think I am that far off but there is definitely some things I can do better."
1:22PM: Henrik Lundqvist will not start Friday night against Chicago and Antti Raanta will make his second consecutive start. (Zipay)
Amanda Borges noted earlier that Raanta was likely to start since Lundqvist was the only goalie on the ice at the morning skate.
Lundqvist said that Raanta is playing well and that he needs to take the next few days to work on things. (Zipay)
Raanta has played on back to back nights in his career twice:
- 12/10/13 & 12/11/13: 2 wins, 55 saves on 59 shots
- 12/14/13 & 12/15/13: 1-1, 41 saves on 47 shots
Larry Brooks notes that Lundqvist was a healthy backup to Cam Talbot thrice in December 2013. (NY Post)
Adam Rotter: I have to say that I am surprised that Lundqvist is not starting tonight but sitting for these two games does give him time to rest and probably extra time to work with Benoit Allaire on fixing the issues in his game. I thought originally that Lundqvist would start last night with Raanta facing his former team tonight, but instead Raanta gets both games. This seems like a calculated decision by Alain Vigneault and his staff and a move that will hopefully get Henrik back on his game.