6:12PM: Jeff Gorton said that Staal has been a good player for the Rangers, can defend top players and "there is a lot that he can do for us."
He added that Stall will "come in and try to play well and get as much ice time as he can."
11:04AM: Staal spoke with the media earlier today and said (NYR):
- On the end of last year, "you always want to take some time and relax and reflect and start gearing up for the upcoming season. It was another good summer."
- How do you feel, "I feel good, feel healthy, good shape and ready to get started."
- Does anything in your offseason prep change, "I've always been a guy that comes to camp in shape and feeling good. That didn't change this summer, I feel really good and fresh and healthy and feel good."
- On fighting for ice time, "It's his opinion and I've been here, I think it's my 11th season, I'm not naive, I don't take anything for granted. I come into camp with that mindset every year, you gotta earn your minutes and that doesn't change my mindset going forward. I've been a Ranger a long time and plan on being a Ranger for a lot more years and am excited to get started and help this team win some games and get started on the right foot."
- On the offseason moves, "He is a highly skilled guy, moves the puck well, very exciting for us on the back end and should be a good fit for him."
- On last season, "some ups and downs like every year. It took me a while after I got injured to get back to where I wanted to be and I think any time you lose like you do against a team like that in the second round, on a personal level you need to be better and that goes for me and you want to be at your best going into those situations and the goal for this year is to build on that and be at your best come that time again."
10:17AM: Marc Staal said today that he enters camp every year with the mindset that he has to earn his minutes and that he has been a Ranger for a long time and plans to be a Ranger for "a lot more years." (NYR)
He said that he is excited to get the season started to help the Rangers win. (NYR)
Staal said that he is healthy and feeling good heading into the season. (Steve Zipay)