4/28/16: Marc Staal said on breakup day that he isn't dealing with any injuries or issues and that it will be the first time in 5-6 years he will have a summer with no physical ailments. (NYR)
- In 2015 Staal had surgery to remove a bone chip when it was also discovered that he had a ligament tear in his ankle.
- In 2014 Staal dealt with a concussion during the season and then a short summer with the Rangers going to the Stanley Cup Final.
- In 2013 Staal was dealing with his eye issue.
- When the lockout shortened 2013 season, started, Staal said "I trained really hard all summer long going into camp, or what should have been camp. I'm miles ahead of where I was last year starting the season.
- Staal deal with his concussion in the summer of 2011 and into that season.
Staal said that he is looking forward to getting 3-4 months of training in before the season which has "been rare the last bunch of years." (NYR)
Staal just finished the first-year of his six-year contract extension that has a cap hit of $5.7 million.
Adam Rotter: It was only a few years ago, after his first concussion but before the eye injury, where Marc Staal was the Rangers top defender and looked to be the player that Ryan McDonagh has become. Injuries have hurt Staal the last few years and I think as result his play has dipped. At times he can still be the All-Star player that he was but it's not consistent. Hopefully the extra rest this summer and being healthy will get Staal back to playing at a high level.