Ryan McDonagh scored twice to lead the New York Rangers to a 4-1 win over the Detroit Red Wings on Sunday at Joe Louis Arena. >> Read more
- 19:33 NYR Ryan McDonagh (short handed); Assists: Kevin Hayes, Michael Grabner
- 5:35 DET Frans Nielsen (power play); Assists: Gustav Nyquist, Justin Abdelkader
- 16:50 NYR McDonagh; Assists: Marc Staal, Pavel Buchnevich
- 17:27 NYR Hayes; Assists: J.T. Miller, Grabner
- 16:01 NYR Derek Stepan (power play); Assist: Chris Kreider
- It was the last goal scored by the Rangers but Derek Stepan's goal was arguably the most important goal scored tonight. Breaking that streak has to take a load off of Stepan and hopefully can get his confidence going offensively and he can finish the regular season on a hot streak. The Rangers need Derek Stepan to produce and after firing 10 shots on goal in the last game he finally got rewarded tonight.
- This was a game where the Rangers got two goals from their Captain and big performances from two guys in Kevin Hayes and JT Miller who have helped drive the Rangers offense all season. Miller had an assist, was physical and had a strong game. Hayes scored, picked up an assist and was very active offensively.
- Antti Raanta was really strong in net, made a couple of great saves and provided the same solid goaltending he has pretty much all season. I think it's always important to remember that there are teams in the NHL that don't have any trustworthy goaltending and the Rangers have two goalies that they can put out and have confidence in.
- Now the Rangers head home and finish this back to back stretch with a Tampa team that they beat last week in Tampa. Tampa is decimated but keeps hanging around. I'd expect that they will come into MSG tomorrow with urgency and desperation to stay in the playoff race.
- The Rangers won 3 of 4 on this road trip and probably should have swept it since they started the third in Carolina with the lead, but 6 of 8 points is still very good. The Rangers continue to be great on the road and we will see how things shake out when they return to MSG tomorrow.
The Rangers host the Tampa Bay Lightning on Monday at 7 p.m. ET at Madison Square Garden.