Boo Nieves scored his first career goal in the first period and Pavel Buchnevich scored the go-ahead goal in the third to complete a 4-3 win over the Penguins on Tuesday. >> Box score
- 15:13 PIT Conor Sheary; Assists: Patric Hornqvist, Kris Letang
- 16:49 NYR Boo Nieves; Assists: Mats Zuccarello, Kevin Shattenkirk
- 7:11 PIT Phil Kessel; Assists: Jake Guentzel, Olli Maatta
- 12:26 NYR Jesper Fast Assists: Brady Skjei, Paul Carey
- 17:20 NYR Mats Zuccarello
- 3:35 PIT Patric Hornqvist (Power Play); Assists: Evgeni Malkin, Ian Cole
- 11:12 NYR Pavel Buchnevich; Assists: David Desharnais, Chris Kreider
- The Rangers spent parts of November finding ways to win and they carried that over into December with their win tonight.
- They caught a few breaks along the way, Brady Skjei not being called for slashing Malkin's stick right before Jesper Fast scored, Mats Zuccarello's goal squeaked through as Jarry was putting his pads together and, obviously, Pavel Buchnevich scored the winner with some nice help from Kris Letang's deflection.
- The Rangers were good in the first but the Penguins were the better team in the final 40 minutes and spent much of the last two periods inside the Rangers zone. The Pens did score on the PP on Hornqvist's breakaway, but the Rangers PK came up huge at key moments earlier int he game.
- Ondrej Pavelec has not really had the chance to prove himself this season and while he wasn't supposed to start tonight, stopping 41 shots against the Penguins was great to see. He's going to get more games as the season goes on and the Rangers need him to play like he did tonight and make big saves at important moments.
- Good for Boo Nieves who, for the most part, has been a solid fourth line center this season. He got his first goal and was on the ice to take faceoffs against the best player in the world in the final minutes.
What's next: The Rangers will travel to DC to face the Capitals on Friday at 7 p.m.