4:02PM: Alain Vigneault said today (MSG):
- "Pavel we have assigned to Hartford, he will play tonight and we will take it day by day and game by game and see how he does and see how he feels and go from there."
- No set games for Buchnevich, "I think this is a day to day situation, he is playing tonight and we will go from there."
1:09PM: The Rangers have announced that Pavel Buchnevich has been sent to Hartford on a conditioning assignment.
The Wolf Pack have games:
- Tonight against Lehigh Valley
- Tomorrow against Bridgeport
- Sunday in Providence
- Wednesday in Rochester
- Friday 1/13 in St. John
- Saturday 1/14 in St. John
A conditioning stint last 14 days.
12:12PM: Pavel Buchnevich is skating in a regular jersey at practice today. (NYR)
Buchnevich had been skating in a non-contact jersey previously and it's possible that he goes to Hartford on a conditioning stint while the Rangers are on the bye.
Adam Rotter: Whether it's called a conditioning assignment or not, which it was originally, this likely isn't intended to be a long "demotion for Buchnevich." He will have the opportunity to play at least four games for the Wolf Pack, maybe five before the Rangers return next week and the labeling of it doesn't really matter. Demoting him the way they did, not with a conditioning stint, supposedly removes him from the roster and the salary cap and which will allow the Rangers to bank a bit more cap space each day for the trade deadline.
Semantics aside, Buchnevich is likely going to be back with the Rangers next weekend. I can see the situation where, if he is healthy, he plays the four games, is called up Friday and then returns to the Rangers lineup next Saturday against Montreal.