Neal Pionk scored in overtime to lead the New York Rangers to a 1-0 win over the New York Islanders on Monday at Madison Square Garden. >> Read more
- 2:31 NYR Neal Pionk; Assists: Lias Andersson, Cristoval Nieves
- George Parros took over the NHL Department of Player safety recently and said he was going to focus on slashing. After watching tonight and seeing notes from other games around the league, that is certainly being enforced.
- In some ways I like that they are calling the penalties, this way the players can hopefully adjust in time for the regular season. But there was no flow at all in this game because of the penalties and it was hard to get as good of a read on players at 5 on 5.
- Players battling for a spot that, I thought, had pretty good games were Lias Andersson, Neal Pionk, Anthony DeAngelo and, at times, Boo Nieves.
- Pionk will get the headlines for his game winning goal but he was solid and put the puck towards the net every chance he got. DeAngelo is very comfortable and confident with the puck and both players got a good amount of time on the PP.
- Andersson was noticeable nearly every time he was on the ice and didn't do much to dissuade the idea that he could/should make the team opening night. Even if he does make the team opening night and then slumps or is overmatched, the Rangers will always have the option to loan him back to Sweden.
- Nieves looked quick, had the puck and while he may have forced some passes when he shouldn't have, I thought his overall game was pretty good.
- JT Miller going 12 and 5 on faceoffs is certainly a nice start to that experiment.
The Rangers face the Devils at Madison Square Garden on Wednesday at 7 p.m., while the Islanders face the Flyers at Barclays Center on Wednesday at 7 p.m.