Cal Clutterbuck scored the tiebreaking goal with 1:28 remaining in the third period and the New York Islanders defeated the New York Rangers 6-4 on Sunday.
Johnny Boychuk had two goals. Kyle Okposo had a goal and assist and Brock Nelson also scored for the Islanders and defenseman Nick Leddy had two assists. Frans Nielsen added an empty-netter with 1:01 remaining.
The Islanders, who led 3-0 and 4-2 before the Rangers rallied to tie it on Derick Brassard's goal with about 8 1/2 minutes to go, ended their season-high seven-game road trip at 6-1-0.
Eric Staal had a goal and an assist for his first points with the Rangers in his fourth game since being acquired in a trade from Carolina just before the deadline.
Oscar Lindberg and Tanner Glass also scored for the Rangers. >> Read more
- After all of that, the big comeback and tying the game in the third, not getting at least a point in this game really does sting.
- I never for a second thought the Rangers were out of it at 3-0 and was pretty sure that at the very least the Rangers would get within one goal before it all ended. They tied it up, again showed their resilience and battle level, but ultimately come away with nothing.
- Eric Staal came to play today and showed the kind of impact player he can be for the Rangers.
- I don't know what to make of this game for either team. The Rangers didn't show up early, the Islanders let them back in and then the game settled down for both teams. If the two meet in the playoffs, which seems likely at this point, there is really no way to predict what could happen. They could play 2-1 games or they could play 8-7 games and I wouldn't be surprised.
- The Rangers need a lot more from JT Miller and Chris Kreider. Kevin Hayes has picked up his game and has been good but after his stretch of being red hot, Miller has come back to earth. Kreider just continues to be inconsistent, even with goals in the past few games.