Jimmy Vesey forced overtime with a game-tying goal in the third period, then knocked in the game-winner in a shootout to fuel the Rangers to a 4-3 win over the Canucks on Sunday. >> Box score
- 7:54 VAN Loui Eriksson; Assists: Henrik Sedin
- 7:21 VAN Jake Virtanen
- 17:40 NYR Jesper Fast Assists: Nick Holden
- 0:19 NYR Michael Grabner; Assists: Mats Zuccarello, Kevin Shattenkirk
- 1:00 VAN Sam Gagner; Assists: Thomas Vanek
- 5:05 NYR Jimmy Vesey; Assists: Rick Nash, Kevin Hayes
- Vanek: STOPPED
- Zuccarello: STOPPED
- Horvat: MISSED
- Zibanejad: MISSED
- Boeser: SCORES
- Shattenkirk: SCORES
- Granlund: STOPPED
- Buchnevich: STOPPED
- Baertschi: SCORES
- Nash: SCORES
- Gagner: STOPPED
- Miller: STOPPED
- Hutton: STOPPED
- Vesey: SCORES
- 3: Sam Gagner
- 2: Jesper Fast
- 1: Jimmy Vesey
- This was a game that the Rangers didn't deserve to win for the first 35 minutes or so. They were making poor decisions with the puck, sloppy with their positioning, tried to force things and looked very much like the frustrating and annoying team that they were in October.
- They got on the board late in the second, tied it quickly and then gave the lead right back. At that point it felt like this was going to be a 3-2 loss and one that the Rangers probably deserved because of how they started and played the first 35 minutes.
- They tied it on a fantastic goal by Jimmy Vesey off a fantastic pass from Rick Nash, weathered the storm in OT and found a way to win in the shootout.
- A win is a win and it's even better when you get goals from a guy like Vesey. The Rangers want and need Vesey in a top-six role and he should be seeing more time in that spot moving forward.
- There is still a lot to clean up for the Rangers though from how they played in the first two periods but it's all stuff they have overcome already this season. They just need to be smarter with the puck in all three zones and a lot of the issues they had early on will be erased.
The Rangers will host the Panthers on Tuesday at 7 p.m.