Tanner Pearson's goal with 1:50 left in overtime powered the Los Angeles Kings to a 5-4 win over the New York Rangers on Friday night.
Anze Kopitar recorded a hat trick, and Marian Gaborik added a goal for Pacific Division-leading Los Angeles, which has won three of its last five.
Peter Budaj made 24 saves in his season debut start. Budaj, who spent the season with the Kings' AHL farm team in Ontario, California, last played in the NHL on May 17, 2014, when he replaced injured Montreal Canadiens starting goaltender Carey Price in Game 1 of the Eastern Conference Final. Budaj allowed three goals on eight shots in that one, a 7-2 Rangers win.
Kevin Hayes and Mats Zuccarello each finished with a goal and an assist for New York, which lost for the first time since Feb. 2. Viktor Stalberg and Derek Stepan also scored for the Rangers. >> Read more...
- The Rangers had two leads in this game but I never felt like they were in control. They were in a position to win and had the lead late, but it wasn't surprising or even devastating when the Kings tied it. Maybe it's how the game played out or maybe it's thinking back to 2014 but it just seemed as if the Kings were going to tie and at least send it to OT.
- It's a bad bounce that tied the game for LA but the Rangers got a similar kind of bounce go their way on their third goal which went off of Vinny Lecavalier.
- At the start of this game it looked like men playing vs boys with how the Kings were pushing the Rangers around and hitting but the Rangers found their legs and started to match the Kings and play physically. It was a good comeback for the Rangers who didn't back down, cashed in on some breaks and even scored on the PP.
- Mats Zuccarello looked active with the puck and it's two straight games for Kevin Hayes with a goal. If those two guys can get going the Rangers will be in fine shape.
- Raanta played about how I expected him to play tonight. He was okay, looked rusty at times and got better as the game went along. Raanta should be fine for the Rangers if he is able to gets some more action.