The New York Rangers lost to the New York Islanders, 3-2, on Tuesday at Barclays Center.
- 16:42 NYR: Chris Kreider; Assists: Marc Staal, Nathan Gerbe
- 17:33 NYI: Cal Clutterbuck
- 6:06 NYI: Cal Clutterbuck (power play); Assists: Josh Bailey, JF Berube
- 11:01 NYR: Nicklas Jensen; Assists: Chris Kreider, Dylan McIlrath
- 4:38 NYI: Josh Bailey; Assist: Dennis Seidenberg
- I like Nathan Gerbe and think he definitely has a role on this team as an energetic, bottom-six forward who kills penalties. He's a depth player, who can add offense but also be the spare forward on occasion. I also think that Marek Hrivik is capable of being a fourth line forward in the NHL.
- The Rangers will have good but tough decisions to make up front.
- I'm not sure Dylan McIlrath is doing enough to help his cause as starting the season as anything more than the 7th defenseman. Brady Skjei got a ton of ice time tonight as did Adam Clendening. Those two are definitely in competition for the 6th spot on defense.
- Chris Kreider had a strong game and made an outstanding pass to Nicklas Jensen on his tying goal. I continue to like what I see from Mika Zibanejad from his speed, to his shot to his overall play.
- It's Thursday night against the Flyers and then the opener a week later. The season, along with Mats Zuccarello playing in a Rangers jersey again, is just....about....here.