5:59PM: Shattenkirk said of his game this season (NYR):
- "Not great. I think I need to get the urgency back in my game a little bit. It's a little too slow for me. With the puck, being harder to play against in the D zone, in my 1-on-1s and making decisions quicker and playing with urgency and getting things done because you have to get them done and that is what I have been lacking and it's what the coaches want to see more from me."
- "You have to learn from it. I'm not a guy who would take it the wrong way and mope about it. It's the NHL, if you aren't playing well there are guys who are. Tony DeAngelo played a phenomenal game the other night. He earned a spot on the roster, I think all of the D have earned a spot on the roster and I'm probably the guy who needs to fight a little harder to get my spot back. That is on me for sure. It's a process bu this is probably a good little kick to get me going and get me out of this, I don't want to say slump, but playing the game that I know that I have."
David Quinn said on Tuesday of Shattenkirk (NYR),"He's coming off major knee surgery and I think he is fighting it mentally and is unsure of himself. He's a big part of what we got going on moving forward. We talked at length today and I thought he had a good practice and I think it's more mental than anything. We've talked about playing with more urgency, I think he is still a little hesitant because of what happened last year and he has to get his confidence back and he will get every chance. This is a process, it's not a punishment. Sometimes it takes a bit longer to get back to where you want to be than you would like. He's going to be that guy when he gets back to being Kevin Shattenkirk and a great mindset and being physically 100%. I have zero doubt about that and so does he."
1:36PM: At Rangers practice on Tuesday morning, the lines being used are (Brett Cyrgalis):
- Jimmy Vesey, Kevin Hayes, Ryan Spooner
- Vlad Namestnikov, Filip Chytil, Vinni Lettieri
- Chris Kreider, Brett Howden, Mats Zuccarello
- Pavel Buchnevich, Mika Zibanejad, Jesper Fast
Brady Skjei and Adam McQuaid are paired together, Brendan Smith and Neal Pionk are paired together, Marc Staal is paired with Tony DeAngelo
Freddy Claesson was paired with Kevin Shattenkirk and Shattenkirk is likely to be a healthy scratch on Thursday against San Jose. (Cyrgalis)
Shattenkirk said that this is probably a "good little kick" to get himself going. (Cyrgalis)
On Sunday against Carolina, Shattenkirk only played 7:29 overall, was a minus two and only took two shifts in the third period, for a total of 57 seconds.