The Rangers blew a two-goal lead after the first period and lost 4-3 to the Panthers in a shootout Friday at the Garden. The Rangers have lost six in a row at home. >> Read more
- 2:34 NYR Mats Zuccarello (Power Play) Assists: Chris Kreider, Derek Stepan
- 4:11 NYR J.T. Miller Assists: Brendan Smith, Mika Zibanejad
- 1:25 FLA Jonathan Huberdeau Assists: Jaromir Jagr, Alex Petrovic
- 6:41 FLA Jussi Jokinen (Power Play) Assists: Thomas Vanek, Jason Demers
- 7:23 FLA Aleksander Barkov Assists: Jaromir Jagr, Jonathan Huberdeau
- 11:45 NYR Mats Zuccarello
- Mats Zuccarello: STOPPED
- Vincent Trocheck: STOPPED
- Mika Zibanejad: STOPPED
- Alex Barkov: SCORES
- Michael Grabner: MISS
- The Rangers didn't lose because of this, but Michael Grabner with the shootout on the line? Yes, Grabner has 27 goals and has scored on some breakaways this year but he is infamous for his long history of missing on breakaways. This isn't even a true breakaway as Grabner doesn't come in with the same level of speed as he would in a game. I still don't know why Rick Nash isn't used in the shootout in that third spot or why Vigneault changed from his regular third shooter in Derek Stepan. Kevin Hayes has excellent hands and could have been used, same for JT Miller or Jimmy Vesey.
- But again, the Rangers didn't lose because of the shootout, they lost because they played a great first 5-10 minutes and then let Florida take over the game for the next 35-40 minutes before they were able to tie it up and force OT/shootout.
- It looked like it would be an easy night with the early PP goal and JT Miller scoring on a shaky James Reimer. Then Florida called a timeout and pretty much took over, dominated the puck, limited the Rangers offensive ability and looked more like the team heading to the playoffs than the Rangers did.
- It was another strange game at home, another loss at home and another game where the Rangers played nowhere near the 60 minute game that was needed.
- I'd expect Pavel Buchnevich to be back in the lineup tomorrow. I don't know if it will be at the expense of Tanner Glass, but Buchnevich should be back in.
The Rangers visit Minnesota Saturday at 7 p.m.