Alain Vigneault on making roster decisions…“There’s a couple areas that there’s not much separation. There are a lot of things that need to be considered, the cap, the health, what we’re going to do with Step (Derek Stepan), as far as long term or not long term. There are a lot thing that are coming into the mix. Still not quite sure, after sitting through the game with Glen, exactly where we are with the pieces.”
Ryan Malone on his play…“You obviously want to be noticed in a positive way, so you want to make sure you’re doing stuff, even in practice, doing the little things and have the eyes on you as much as you can. There’s still another game tomorrow, so you have to keep going and take it one day at a time.”
Henrik Lundqvist on having a shootout tonight…“It was actually pretty good to work on that. Obviously you do that in practice, but to get it in a game situation, it’s always nice to work on your timing. A couple things I did well, and I couple things I need to adjust, but overall it felt good.”
The Rangers have also sent through the following game notes:
Team Notes- Shooting Gallery … The Rangers registered 31 shots on goal in the contest. Sixteen of 18 Rangers recorded at least one shot on goal in the game, and nine skaters were credited with at least two shots on goal.
- Hot at the Dot … The Blueshirts won 23 of 41 faceoffs (56.1%) in the game. New York has won more faceoffs than its opponent in each of the last four games.
- Take That … New York was credited with 14 takeaways in the game. Ten different Rangers recorded at least one, and three skaters had at least two.
Player Notes3 Stars on Broadway
- Rollin’ Ryan … Ryan Malone registered the game-deciding goal in the shootout, tallied the game-tying goal in the third period, and tied for the game-high with three hits in 13:47 of ice time. Malone has recorded a goal in both preseason games he has played in this year, and is tied for third on the Rangers in goals (two) in the preseason. He has tallied three shootout goals in the regular season during his career, all of which have been the game-deciding goal in the contest.
- King Henrik … Henrik Lundqvist made 19 saves in the contest, and stopped eight of nine shootout attempts to record his third victory of the preseason. The Rangers’ all-time wins and shutouts leader ranks second among NHL goalies in all-time shootout wins (48).
- Spirit of St. Louis … Martin St. Louis registered a goal and recorded two shots on goal in 14:05 of ice time. Since the start of the 2009-10 season, St. Louis leads all NHL players in points (396) and ranks third among all NHL players in assists (264). Last season, he led the Rangers in goals (eight) and game-winning goals (three), tied for second in points (15), power play goals (two), and power play points (six), and tied for fifth in assists (seven) in the playoffs.
Blueshirt Breakdown- J.T. Miller recorded an assist, was credited with two hits, and posted a plus-one rating in 14:04 of ice time. Miller is tied for the team lead in assists (three) and is tied for second on the team in points (four) in the preseason.
- Jesper Fast tallied an assist and posted a plus-one rating in 14:52 of ice time. Fast has recorded a point in all three preseason games he has played in this year. He is tied for the team lead in goals (three) and is tied for second on the team in points (four) in the preseason.
- Matt Hunwick registered an assist, recorded two shots on goal, and posted a plus-one rating in 19:27 of ice time. Hunwick is tied for the team lead in plus/minus rating (plus-four) in the preseason.
- Michael Kostka tallied an assist, tied for the game-high with three blocked shots, and posted a plus-one rating in 20:27 of ice time. Kostka has been credited with eight blocked shots in the last two games and has posted a plus-two rating over the span.
- Mats Zuccarello tallied a goal in the shootout and led all skaters with three takeaways in 20:11 of ice time. Zuccarello tied for the team lead in shootout goals (three) in 2013-14, and is 9-for-19 (47.4%) with four game-deciding goals in the shootout in his career.
- Ryan McDonagh tied for the game-high with three blocked shots and was credited with two takeaways while skating in a game-high, 24:52 of ice time. He is tied for the team lead in assists (three) and is tied for fourth on the team in points (three) in the preseason.