The NHL has announced that Ryan McDonagh will represent the Rangers at the All-Star game at the end of this month in LA.
McDonagh is the only Ranger representative.
From the Rangers announcement on McDonagh:
- McDonagh, who also played in the NHL All-Star Game last season, is the first Ranger who has been selected to play in the NHL All-Star Game in at least two consecutive years since Henrik Lundqvist (2009 - 2012).
- In addition, he becomes the first Rangers defenseman to be selected to play in the NHL All-Star Game in at least two straight years since Brian Leetch (2001 - 2003), as well as the first Rangers captain to accomplish the feat since Mark Messier (1992 - 1997).
- McDonagh, 27, has skated in 41 games with the Rangers this season, registering two goals and 23 assists for 25 points, along with a plus-10 rating and 25 penalty minutes.
- He ranks third among NHL defensemen in even strength assists (15), is tied for fourth among NHL defensemen in primary assists (13), is tied for fifth among NHL defensemen in assists, and is tied for eighth among NHL defensemen in points in 2016-17.
- McDonagh also ranks third among NHL defensemen in games with an assist (19) and is tied for fifth among NHL defensemen in games with a point (20) this season.
- Among defensemen in the Metropolitan Division, McDonagh ranks first in assists, primary assists, and even strength assists, is tied for first in points, and ranks second in average ice time (24:11) in 2016-17.
- He posted a career-high eight-game assist/point streak from Oct. 17, 2016 vs. San Jose to Nov. 1, 2016 vs. St. Louis (nine assists over the span).
- McDonagh's eight-game assist streak is the longest assist streak any NHL player has registered this season, and his eight-game point streak is tied for the longest point streak any NHL defenseman has posted in 2016-17.
- He became the first Rangers defenseman to post an eight-game assist streak since Leetch from Jan. 3, 1996 - Jan. 31, 1996 (nine games), and he also became the first Rangers defenseman to post an eight-game point streak since Leetch from Oct. 30, 1996 - Dec. 1, 1996 (14 games).
- McDonagh's eight-game assist streak is tied for the eighth-longest assist streak in franchise history.