The Rangers dropped their second straight game, falling to the Ottawa Senators, 3-2, on Wednesday night at the Canadian Tire Centre. Michael Grabner and Pavel Buchnevich tallied for New York. >> Box score
- 4:01 OTT Bobby Ryan; Assists: Mark Stone
- 3:57 NYR Michael Grabner; Assists: Mats Zuccarello, Ryan McDonagh
- 15:08 OTT Cody Cedi; Assists: Matt Duchene, Ryan
- :08 OTT Zack Smith; Assists: Tom Pyatt
- 4:40 NYR Pavel Buchnevich; Assists: Chris Kreider, David Desharnais
- Two turnovers and an early period goal did the Rangers in tonight against the Senators. This wasn't like some of the Rangers early season losses, but some of the issues that hurt them over and over again to start the year hurt them tonight.
- This was, obviously, a much better performance than the Rangers had against Dallas, but it wasn't enough to beat a Senators team that needed their GM to give the coach a vote of confidence today.
- The Rangers didn't generate enough pressure offensively or get traffic in front of the net. The Senators specialize in clogging the neutral zone and making it tough to not only get into the zone but even if you do, they make it tough to get to the net and create traffic, screens or go for rebounds.
- It's two losses in a row for the Rangers and a back to back this weekend with the Kings and Bruins. LA will be a good test for the Rangers and the Bruins have been on a nice little run in their past 10. Things don't get easier for the Rangers but one thing that might help is the possible return of Mika Zibanejad. If it's not this weekend it could very likely be early next week when the Rangers take on the Ducks.
What's next: The Rangers return home to Madison Square Garden to face the Los Angeles Kings on Friday at 7 p.m.