About 3 minutes into the third period, with the Rangers on the PP, the following sequence occurred:
- 2:54: Nikolay Kulemin blocked a shot from Ryan McDonagh
- 2:58: Kulemin takes the puck away
- 3:01: Kulemin puts a shot on Henrik Lundqvist
- 3:03: John Tavares puts a shot on Lundqvist
- 3:03: Kulemin scores off a feed from Tavares
Lundqvist said that the shorthanded goal, which put the Isles up 3-1, was a "killer" and that he was close to covering up the puck but John Tavares kept swiping at it and the puck kept bouncing.
Lundqvist said that he thought the Rangers had the right coverage with four guys back but there was a communication mishap and "it cost us."
Alain Vigneault said that the Rangers had five players looking at two players on the Islanders making plays in front of the Lundqvist.
He added, "they got a goal that they shouldn't have got, like I mentioned, 5 guys just looking at them do what they want in front of our net."
The Rangers on the ice during that sequence were JT Miller, Chris Kreider, Mika Zibanejad, Kevin Hayes and Ryan McDonagh.