Alain Vigneault met with the media prior to the Rangers game against Buffalo and said (NYR):
- On alternate captains, "we are rotating right now. We had Jesper go for five, Kreids go for five and then we will pick someone else."
- On the top line, "One of the components to their success is their puck battles. All three have elevated that part of their game and been real good in those 1 on 1 battles and that has permitted them to sustain offensive zone time, create opportunities by beating their guy to the net, bringing the puck to the net and right now they are playing the right way. They aren't trying to cheat, they are going against top players, playing the right way, defending when they are supposed to defend, their body position is good and when they have the puck they are skating and moving and winning their puck battles."
- On Mika, "I feel that his game, where he has been the most efficient has been in those puck battles. You would talk to him about it like we do and he can see the difference, he knows he is getting in there, he knows he is winning more, getting the puck more, making more plays. His understanding of the game and understanding of playing the right way to win, he has improved that facet and it has helped him and helped our team."
- What do you want to see from a young goalie, "simply I could just say saves, I want him to stop the puck but the type of saves he is making and the control he seems to be in in goal. Alex has shown technique-wise some good fundamentals and I think there are some areas he needs to improve. We are working with him to improve those areas but he has been technically sound and in every game he has played he has given us a chance to win."
- On Georgiev, "this is too small of a sample to make up your mind on anybody I would say, but it is a good sample size and he is getting experience and better against NHL shooters and very positive for the young man."
- Is Henrik healthy enough to play, "not tonight but I think a couple of more days here and he should be fine. He skated hard this morning, worked hard. I haven't had feedback on how it went but when I watched him for 15 minutes he looked good."
- On Neal Pionk, "he has taken some real good strides and I think that says a lot about the staff in Hartford and what they do with those players. I remember him from camp, his hockey smarts will permit him to have a good chance to play at this level and be a good player. He has improved his skillset, understanding and with Marc Staal they have been a good pair and done a good job for us."
- On Chytil and Andersson, "My understanding with Gorts is that he and Chris will talk after the game and let us know what is going on.'