Alain Vigneault met with the media on Thursday and said the following (NYR):
- On Lias Andersson, "it's the same as Gorts, we felt that at this time, even though he had a good camp and showed us a lot of upside, better for him to go back home and get some PP and PK time and get some minutes and continue to improve. We have the ability to call him if we need him but at this time, for his benefit, he needed to go back home and play and that is what he is going to do."
- On Filip, "he has earned the right to start the season with us, he has played well, shown real good skill set, day by day, now it really starts, it's a real NHL lineup with all the players. So far he has handled it well, can he handle it moving forward? His play will tell us that. He has definitely earned the right to start with us and we will see how he does."
- Could Chytil be here the whole year, "it's really day by day and what is going to be better for the team and him also. For me, he showed a lot in training camp, really caught my attention, coaching staff and management. We will take it a day at a time but so far he has been very good and we will see if he can do it against NHL caliber on a daily basis."
- On Paul Carey, "in the last 6-7 days I thought he played extremely well. His speed enables him to get separation from checkers, get in on the forecheck. Physical when he needed to be. Effective on PK. Some other guys played well, Vinni played extremely well, Boo was right there and Puemps was right there. Good competition but at the end of the day I felt that Paul was just a little bit better than those guys and it's a great opportunity for him and hopefully he can come in and play well for us."
- Do you want to keep 8 defensemen, "I love 8 D for practice, as much as I can do that we will. Whether it's a forward or D, right now we have 8 defensemen. We have Quickie who is still injured but practiced with us. We have 12 forwards with Desjardins who continues to be with us on a PTO, unfortunately we couldn't see him because of his suspension the last two games. Gorts had a good talk with him and his agent and we are a good option for him in the sense that, with Filip, we will give this, like all teams do, 10-20 games to sort out what they have and I think right now he prefers to be here and give us an opportunity to see him on a daily basis and that is good for our team and good for him at this point."
- Can you stay sharp before the regular season, "we have this laid out down to every last minute as far as conditioning, team building we want to do, meetings we want to have. Still haven't finalized our lines or D pairs. Nick Holden today was with Kampf, Nick hadn't been around the team for three days, we were playing so many games that you probably didn't notice, but he was hit by the same bug as Mika and he was down and out. Today was his first time in three days back around the team. We put him with Kampf today and we will let him ease in and then we will have some decisions to make on defense and up front as far as who is playing with who and the D pairs. Guys are pushing for ice time and pushing for roles. We have 5 practice days, stuff laid out in Lake Placid and we will use that time very efficiently to have a good start."
- Is it mental or physical work during those 8 days off, "it's a combination of both. We gotta get our system in place, we got a lot of practice time and today we used it well to work on certain areas without the puck. We are working away here, we have a lot of stuff to work on and will use it wisely."
- On Desjardins, "that would be on a day to day basis with him and us. Not quite sure what might happen until then. For him it gives him an opportunity to practice and show us what he can do and for us it could change on a daily basis but right now he is on his PTO and wants to hang around."