Alain Vigneault met with the media on Tuesday following the Rangers morning skate and said (NYR):
- On Chytil, "He hadn't played much with the last couple of games, didn't play the last game. In talking with Jeff yesterday we felt that he needed to play. It's a day to day situation. The best thing for him is to play a couple of games in Hartford on the weekend so he is going to out and play some hockey."
- More on Chytil, "we haven't quite made up our mind on him and the makeup of our team. We feel that right now he needs to play, play in Hartford and we need to sort out some things also."
- On Cracknell, "when he became available the day before yesterday, talked to our pro scouts and Lindy and both felt that he is a fourth line player, right handed shot, can play RW, the middle, can help on the PK. Just gave us some more depth and we figured that it would be a good pick up. Lindy said a lot of great things about the young man so we will give him an opportunity to show what he can do."
- On Holden and Kampfer staying in, "they competed, played hard. They weren't perfect, a couple of decisions there but they competed real hard, waited for an opportunity, got themselves ready and they played well so I'm keeping the same lineup. What Smytty and Anthony need to do is get ready and when they get their next opportunity they need to force me to keep him in the lineup by their play."
- Are you surprised this is your group on D right now, "I'm never surprised, every season is different and you go in thinking that the makeup of your team might be this and this, but players make the decisions for you with how they play. Right now on defense we have 8 guys that in our estimation can all play in the NHL and there is good internal competition and it should bring the best out of them."
- On moving Staal with McDonagh, "I just felt that Marc had been playing some pretty solid hockey and Mac is so good at adjusting, defending or moving the puck. We are trying to win games here and in Toronto, after the first period, we had to do something with our D and Staal was playing well and we felt that playing with Mac would be a pretty good pair and it was a good pair last game. We are trying to win games."
- On the second PP, "I am putting Jimmy up there, four forwards on both units."