Alain Vigneault met with the media on Friday prior to the Rangers game against Columbus and said (NYR):
- On what he wants to see from Brendan Smith, "he's gonna play a good game for us, Brendan knows his strengths, is a physical player. When he has a good gap he is very effective and we look to him to have a real strong game for us."
- On what to do with DeAngelo, "I'm gonna get him back in. If you look at his overall camp, he had a good camp, a tougher game in Toronto, I went with 7D and he didn't play much. I wanted to get Kampf and Holden in, it's a game of numbers. We have 8 guys right now. I love that skill set, love that he is a right handed shot, for us there is a lot of potential there. It's a long season and you try to sort things out. You look at all of the teams know, who they are playing in certain situations and who is in and out of the lineup and I can tell you that come game 60-70 it won't be the same thing. Everyone is trying to figure out if their young players can do it, if some other guys can have a bigger role. That is just part of the process of a start of the season. At the same time we are trying to win games and that is what we will do tonight."
- On Columbus, "same type of team, they come after you, they are going to forecheck hard, they defend well, gotten some sound goaltending. It's a good test to know where we are as a team, we put some new lines together, the only line we kept together is Mika's line. I'm hoping to see something from the other three lines and our D group, which I believe is a real strong group, to play a good game and this is a real tough building to play in so we will find out a lot about ourselves tonight."
- On ice time for defense, "that is something that as a staff we have been discussing here and the identity of that back end and how it can be the most effective. We still haven't figured that out, waiting on a couple of guys to step up with their play a little bit. We will sort it out quickly and it will be an effective blue line."
- On Jesper Fast, "he is closing in, I would say that he is very close to getting in the lineup. He's been cleared medically, physically, just a matter of how he feels and him talking with our doctors."
- How does Fast change the forward group, 'it gives us an experienced player that can help us 5 on 5 and help us to kill penalties. When he is healthy and tells us that he can play and the docs say that he is good to go then he will get in the lineup."