Alain Vigneault met with the media prior to tonight's game against the Sharks and said (NYR):
- On going 11 forwards and 7 D, "at this time right now, I am thinking of keeping Anthony in our lineup and on the second PP unit. Adam or Paul are not true centers, with how the schedule is laid out, we have a better chance with 11 forwards and I can double shift a couple of those guys and play 7 D."
- On DeAngelo, "no doubt it's not easy, you gotta skate between the TV timeouts to stay ready but he has been alright for us. This is not the ideal situation and Jeff and I will talk about this is the coming days but we wanted to get through Saturday and Monday and we will see what happens moving forward."
- On Chris Kreider, "I hope it's going to get him going. He has had a lot of good looks on the rush that he hasn't been able to score. He is such a big strong man that he should be able to get in on the forecheck, create turnovers, not take penalties 200 ft from our net, protect the puck and get into some open ice and make and create some plays. It can't all be on the rush, I'm hoping that one, it was a PP goal but they had to win those battles in the corner and then both JT and David sent it to Kreids and he put it in. That is the type of 5 on 5 , not just on the PP, that we need to see from that group."
- On Rick Nash, "he was a powerful power forward, those days in Columbus, like he is doing now with us, overpower the player he was up against and take the puck to the net and have someone haul him down or get a great look. He's always been a real effective player at both ends but a true goal scorer. He is getting the looks now and I believe those looks are going to go in here soon."
- On Vesey's game, "that line is building an identity. Those three guys work very hard, forecheck, create turnovers, work hard to come back in our own end. I had them out in the last minute, that threesome is building a strong identity that I like. I have confidence that I can put them up against any line and they will play well and play hard and that is what I want to continue."
- On Vesey being physical, "that is part of his repertoire. He has to bring that, if he doesn't then he isn't the player that he can be. He's a good skater, power forward, he needs to play the body and play the man and he has been doing that more since I put him on that line."
- On the Hartford situation, "they played 3 in 3 nights over the weekend, Filip didn't play the third one, they didn't want him to play 3 in 3 nights. I heard that Boo has been playing well, Lettieri is playing well but three games in three nights, they got in late. From what I can understand, that last game wasn't a Picasso."
- Will you call up a center, "we will look at that. Yesterday, Gorts had a couple of personal issues so I just talked to him quickly on the phone but we will get through today and then see what happens. I'm not sure what we are going to do, we may stay status quo, we will have to figure it out."