Alain Vigneault met with the media earlier today after practice and said (NYR):
- Update on Shattenkirk, "he had, I don't know if we want to say, a minor setback, he skated hard and felt a little discomfort. The docs felt that they would hold him back for a couple of days and hopefully in a short amount of time he will be back skating and getting into the groove here."
- On DeAngelo, "he had his MRI done at 11:30 but I haven't heard back yet. I should found out later today. We will call up Sproul and he should be in the lineup for tomorrow."
- On DeAngelo's game, "he has been coming along. You see the skill level with the puck. I think for Tony, like a lot of young players, it's understanding the game, what plays to make that are right for the situation. Just a matter of improving his overall knowledge of the game with and without the puck, by doing that, obviously playing more, he will get better. There is definitely a skill set but like any young player it's about putting it together. You gotta understand the game and have the right attitude and work ethic, Tony is a young player going through the different stages. Some get it together quicker than others but in Tony's case, I think he was on the right track. Not quite sure how serious the injury is, but after seeing it last night it doesn't look very good. We will find out later on today.'
- Does this set him back, "it's not going to help. It's unfortunate but injuries are part of the game and players get them and they need to work real hard with the right mindset to get themselves back in the groove here. In the short amount of time he was here, he was making positive strides in his game, understanding the game, coming along for us as a good right handed D. that righty/lefty combo is one that, in seeing Pionk and Marc and Tony with Brady, permits us to have better touches from our back end with the puck. Something that moving forward is something we should look at, righty/lefty combo."
- On Gilmour playing right D, "I don't have another option (smile). I think that, Gilly, his skating ability has really stood out. His skating ability with the puck, to get away and get out of our end. He's gotta learn to make the right plays and I feel that is coming along. I would say to you that he looks more comfortable on the right side but right now he is our best option on the right side."
- More on Shattenkirk,"we are not there, this is just a minor little thing. He felt a little discomfort so docs are backing him off for 2-3-4 days and then he will get back. It's a 6-8 week injury and we are at week 7 so we are on track for him coming back."
- On Georgiev, 'he has played well, like I mentioned before the game, he is a battler. I like his positioning in goal and rebound control, he will play tomorrow. He has won his last two games but at the end of the day, for us right now, it's about if we have a potential backup for Hank. Young player, we will see what he can do against a real good team tomorrow."
- Will he play more the rest of the year, "there is no doubt that moving forward he will get some games. He has won his last two starts and we need to find out about this young goaltender who seems to have some good upside. We will give him a chance tomorrow against the Stanley Cup Champs. He seems mentally ready for it. We will put him in and see what he can do."
- On Vesey, "last night, as far as finishing, it was a good start. A lot of his touches in the first half of the game that I am sure he would like to have back, he made a couple of plays that need to be better. He is getting a chance and a good amount of ice time and I need him to have a good end of the season. It's important for him and his development and hopefully with the right mindset and commitment he will take it one game at a time and play well."