Alain Vigneault met with the media after practice and said (NYR):
- Hank is feeling better, "yea, I had a talk with him before practice and at the end. Hank said that he was feeling much better than he anticipated and that he was good to go. He will take a few shots tomorrow morning and should be good to go tomorrow night."
- On the Caps, "that team plays a lot like they have in the past even though some of the personnel has changed a bit. It's a real good team and they have that top line and great goaltending, great goaltending last night. Score a couple early and their PP gave them one at the end of the second period. Play the same type of system, executed well. It will be a real hard game for us."
- Same lineup with Kampfer out, "yea"
- On Shattenkirk, "he's exactly what we have expected him to be, a real good teammate, a player that depending on the opposition you can move him against the other teams top line or against the other teams second or third line. Our scouting staff and management staff had done a real good job of evaluating Kevin and doing their home work. We got exactly what we thought, a skilled player that can help us on the PP and a great teammate and person in our dressing room. Our guys really did their home work on that."
- Has he grown with the team, "probably the same as when he came to Washington. After you have been with a team for a while, it takes some time to get to know your teammates, get to know the culture of the team and how they like and want to play. After those first 7-10 games where our whole group was looking to find their game we have been much better and Kevin has been one of the reason."
- On Shattenkirk and McDonagh again, "during the season you will see a lot of different line combinations and different duo combinations. Right now our team is playing well, our record has been very good as of late and it's because we are playing some good hockey. That is a possibility down the road but right now the combination of Shatty with Brady has been real effective for us. We aren't afraid to match that up against top lines or use that against bottom lines, I shouldn't say bottom lines, 3-4th lines because we know we will get an opportunity for better looks offensively. It gives us more versatility and for now I think we will keep it that way."
- On McDonagh and Holden, "they have played well, they have gone against tough matchups and for the most part made strong decisions with the puck and that is what you need. During games you see where a team can get in trouble with their puck management, not doing it efficiently, that is when the other team transitions and gets better looks. Nick and Ryan have done a good job of managing the puck and it will have to continue tomorrow because we are playing against a real good team."