Alain Vigneault met with the media after the morning skate in Pittsburgh today and said (NYR):
- On Kevin Hayes, "he felt fine last night before the game and during the game he felt pain come back and after he just wasn't feeling well. We decided to keep him home, treat him and we will see how he is doing tomorrow."
- "I would say that it's a lot better than it was then when the original injury occurred but not good enough to play."
- Is Carey back in, "yes."
- What will the lines be, "still debating that in my mind."
- On McDonagh, "it's a little bit more than 50/50. He's got an issue right now, didn't skate this morning and will be a game time decision."
- Is this related to McDonagh's earlier injury, "something brand new from yesterday. It's brand new from yesterday."
- On moving on from yesterday, "we have no choice, a lot of times in these situations its the best thing that can happen. Reset, refocus and go out on the ice and perform well. We addressed a couple of areas this morning that we feel that if we do better we will be in good shape. We had a quick skate coming back from the break, play an afternoon game so I felt it was important for us to touch the ice and get our legs and hands going and I am confident we will be better tonight."
- On Shattenkirk, "when we sat down with him before the Arizona trip, it was just a matter, like any player, you want a player to play to his strength. One of the reasons why felt that Shatty would be a good fit with this team is his ability to move the puck, jump up into the play, his ability to make plays with the puck, and we have to see better than what we have seen so far. We knew that defensively he could hold his own but that his biggest assets are his plays with the puck and he needs to make those to be effective."
- On Lettieri, "I like his energy level, skates well, he is not afraid to shoot the puck which is a bonus in our group to have. He is a right hander, which we don't have a lot of, and that can help us out."